|Denis John Earp|
7 June 1930 |
|Service/branch||South African Air Force|
|Commands held||Chief of the Air Force|
Lieutenant General Denis John Earp SSA SD SOE SM (Bloemfontein, born 7 June 1930) was a South African military commander, who held the post of Chief of the South African Air Force. Attended Grey College, Bloemfontein. He attended Military College in 1948 and joined the SAAF in 1950. After qualifying as a pilot served in Korea with 2 Squadron SAAF. He was forced to bale out over enemy territory and was a POW for 23 months.
Released in September 1953, he was posted to 1 Squadron till January 1957. Then he spent two years as an instructor at Central Flying Service Dunnottar before being appointed as a pilot attack instructor at the Air Operations School.
In December 1967 he returned to 2 Squadron as commanding officer. Eighteen months later he was appointed Commandant Flying at Air Force Base Pietersburg and after that Senior Staff Officer (Air) of the Joint Combat Forces.
After that he became Senior Staff Officer Operations at SAAF Headquarters, then Director Operations from June 1 of 1976 to 1978 and Director General Operations at Defence Headquarters in the rank of Major General from June 19 of 1978.
He served as Chief of the Air Force from 1984 to 1988
Honours and Awards
- Order of Military Merit (Korea) (Chungmu cordon) with Silver Star (Korea, 1952)
- Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster (USA 1952)
- Southern Cross Medal (1973)
- Southern Cross Decoration (1976)
- Star of South Africa Silver 1986
- Star of South Africa Gold 1987
- Order of the Resplendent Banner with Grand Cordon (Taiwan 1987)
- Gran Cruz Al Merito Aeronautico (Chile)
- Al Merito Miltar (Paraguay)
- Hayes, S.V (ed) (1992). Who's Who of Southern Africa. Who's Who of Southern Africa C.C. p. 203. ISBN 0-620-15974-X.
- Geldenhuys, Genl. Jannie. We were there. Kraal Publishers. p. 49. ISBN 978-0-9814009-8-3.
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. p. 73. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- "The SADF: Supplement to the Financial Mail". Financial Mail: 35. July 1987.
- Lord, Dick (2012). From Fledgling to Eagle: The South African Air Force during the Border War (Kindle ed.). Solihull, England: Helion & Company Ltd. ISBN 0415350158.
|Chief of the South African Air Force
1984 – 1988
Jan van Loggerenberg
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|