||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
1 July 1957 |
|Playing darts since||1976|
|Walk-on music||The Heat Is On by Glenn Frey|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||76|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 32: 2000|
|World Masters||Quarter-final: 1999|
|World Darts Trophy||First Round: 2007|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Quarter-final: 2005|
|World Matchplay||Last 16: 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 2005, 2009, 2011|
|World Grand Prix||Last 16: 2001, 2003, 2011|
|Grand Slam||Last 16: 2008|
|Ch'ship League||Initial groups, Semi-finals 2008|
|Desert Classic||Quarter-final: 2002|
|European Ch'ship||Last 16: 2008|
|UK Open||Semi-final: 2010, 2011, 2012|
|US Open/WSoD||Runner-up: 2010|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||First Round: 2009, 2010, 2011|
|Other tournament wins|
UK Open Regionals/Qualifiers
Denis Ovens (born 1 July 1957 in Enfield) is an English darts player. He is nicknamed The Heat and is now based in Stevenage. Ovens is widely regarded as one of the most consistent players in the circuit, though he has as yet failed to convert his form from the circuit to the big stages on television. His constant second round exits in numerous televised tournaments has led him to be called by commentators as 'The Nearly Man'.
His one good run came in the 2005 PDC World Darts Championship, reaching the quarter-finals before losing to former World Masters champion Mark Dudbridge. He has since suffered six successive second round exits in the World Championship - against Steve Alker in 2006, against Alan Tabern in 2007 (in a thriller that went to a sudden death deciding leg, with Ovens narrowly missing a double 12 for a perfect nine dart finish and a £15,000 bonus), in 2008 against Dutchman Jan van der Rassel, after defeating Colin Monk in the first round in 2009, to Ronnie Baxter having defeated Steve Maish 3-0 in the first round.
Outside of darts Denis is a big Manchester United fan and has a season ticket, he goes to watch games when he is not playing darts.
World Championship results
- 2000: 1st Round (lost to Bobby George 1-3)
- 2001: 1st round (lost to Les Fitton 1-3)
- 2002: 2nd round (lost to Richie Burnett 4-6)
- 2003: 3rd round (lost to Dennis Smith 1-5)
- 2004: 3rd round (lost to Alex Roy 3-4)
- 2005: quarter-finals (lost to Mark Dudbridge 3-5)
- 2006: 2nd round (lost to Steve Alker 1-4)
- 2007: 2nd round (lost to Alan Tabern 3-4)
- 2008: 2nd round (lost to Jan van der Rassel 1-4)
- 2009: 2nd round (lost to Ronnie Baxter 1-4)
- 2010: 2nd round (lost to Colin Lloyd 3-4)
- 2011: 2nd round (lost to Simon Whitlock 0-4)
- 2012: 1st round (withdrew due to injury while trailing Kevin Munch 1-0)
- 2013: 2nd round (lost to Adrian Lewis 1-4)
- Ovens is known for his trademark unshaven looks. Ovens stated on ESPN's World Series of Darts that he kept shaving before a darts match and always lost, so he thought "OK, don't shave".
- Ovens is well known to darts fans as "Captain Hobo", in reference to his unkempt appearance.
- Ovens is a devoted Manchester United fan and his favourite player is Wayne Rooney.
- Close friend of bodybuilding fanatic Adam Mead.
- Denis is known for his patterned darts shirts.
- Denis is widely regarded as the "Darts Players' Player"
- Denis currently trains with Andrew Donhou, based out of 'The Duck' public house in Aylesbury
- Denis likes long walks on the beach and skipping through fields
- "Denis Ovens (ENG)". ITV. Retrieved 21 January 2010.