Villeneuve at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
October 3, 1967 |
Life and career
Villeneuve was born in Gentilly near Trois-Rivières, Quebec. In his early career he won Radio-Canada's youth film competition "La Course Europe-Asie" in 1990–91. He is a three-time winner of the Genie Award for Best Director, for Maelström in 2001, Polytechnique in 2010 and Incendies in 2011. All three films also won the Best Picture award.
His 2010 film Incendies represented Canada at the 83rd Academy Awards in the category of Best Foreign Language Film and made the list of nominees. In January 2011 he was selected as one of the top ten filmmakers to watch. Incendies is considered by the New York Times as one of the 10 best films of 2011.
In December 2013 Villeneuve was set to direct the crime thriller film Sicario scripted by Taylor Sheridan, in which Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin and Emily Blunt would be starring as leads. The film has been selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.
In February 2015, it was announced that Villeneuve would direct the sequel to Blade Runner. Harrison Ford will reprise his role, and it will take place several decades after the original. Ridley Scott is set to produce the film for Warner Bros.
|1994||REW-FFWD||short||Produced by the National Film Board of Canada|
|1996||Cosmos||short||Presented at Directors' Fortnight, Cannes Film Festival|
|1998||Un 32 août sur terre||Un Certain Regard section, Cannes Film Festival|
|2000||Maelström||FIPRESCI Prize, Berlin International Film Festival|
|2008||Next Floor||short||Prize of Best Short Film, Cannes Film Festival|
|2009||Polytechnique||Presented at Cannes Film Festival|
|2010||Incendies||Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2011|
|2013||Prisoners||Premiered at the 2013 Telluride Film Festival|
|2013||Enemy||Premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival|
|TBA||Untitled Blade Runner sequel||Pre-production|
|TBA||Story of Your Life ||Pre-production|
- "Polytechnique sweeps Genie Awards". Toronto Star, April 12, 2010.
- "Villeneuve’s Incendies wins eight Genies, including best picture". The Globe and Mail, March 10, 2011.
- Vlessing, Etan (September 22, 2010). "Canada picks 'Incendies' to vie for Oscar". hollywoodreporter. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- "Variety taps Canadians among directors to watch". CBC News. January 3, 2011.
- "Denis Villeneuve In Talks To Direct Mexican Crime Drama Sicario for Black Flag". deadline.com. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Josh Brolin to Star Opposite Emily Blunt in Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Sicario’". variety.com. 30 May 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "‘Blade Runner’ Sequel Has Found Its Director!". variety.com. 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 Feb 2015.
- "Denis Villeneuve In Talks to Direct 'Blade Runner' Sequel". variety.com. 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 Feb 2015.
- "REW-FFWD" (ONLINE FILM). NFB.ca. National Film Board of Canada. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "Harrison Ford to Return for ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel Directed by Denis Villeneuve" (ONLINE ARTICLE). Variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
|This article about a Canadian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Quebec biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|