Denise Di Novi
|Denise Di Novi|
March 21, 1956 |
Sherman Oaks, California, United States
Denise Di Novi (born March 21, 1956) is an American film producer.
When she was three years old, Denise and her family moved to Los Angeles from New York, where her father Gene Di Novi – a musician – made music for the TV shows of Danny Thomas, Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith. Prior to that, Gene worked with Doris Day, Lena Horne and Peggy Lee. In the late 1960s, the family moved again, this time to Toronto, Ontario, and, while there, Denise's mother, Patricia, died of cancer.
She has two sons, Mac and Nicholas.
Di Novi studied communications at Simmons College in Massachusetts, and received a degree in journalism. After working as a copy editor at the National Observer and staff writer for Canada AM, she became a reporter for Toronto's Citytv, but quit in 1980, taking a job as a unit publicist for Final Assignment, a film shooting in Toronto starring Geneviève Bujold. She became a principal in the Montreal-based production company Film Plan, acting in various production capacities on nine major studio releases, including Scanners and Videodrome. In 1983, Film Plan relocated to Los Angeles and merged with Arnold Kopelson's Film Packages.
Di Novi then joined New World Pictures as Executive Vice President of production. She later shifted into an overall deal as an independent producer, producing the cult favorite Heathers starring Winona Ryder. Di Novi then headed Tim Burton Productions and was responsible for producing several of Burton's most successful films. She set up her own production company, Di Novi Pictures, in 1993, at Columbia Pictures. Subsequent to that, she entered into a producing deal with Warner Brothers Pictures, where she remains today.
Di Novi has produced 35 films, including six from her partnership with Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Cabin Boy, Ed Wood and James and the Giant Peach) and four films based on books by Nicholas Sparks (Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, Nights in Rodanthe and The Lucky One).
- Heathers (1989)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Meet the Applegates (1991)
- Batman Returns (1992) (producer)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) (producer)
- Cabin Boy (1994) (producer)
- Ed Wood (1994) (producer)
- Little Women (1994) (producer)
- James and the Giant Peach (1996) (producer)
- Almost Heroes (1998) (producer)
- Practical Magic (1998) (producer)
- Message in a Bottle (1999) (producer)
- The '70s (2000) (TV) (executive producer)
- The District (2000) (TV series) (executive producer)
- Happy Campers (2001) (producer)
- Original Sin (2001) (producer)
- A Walk to Remember (2002) (producer)
- Jo (2002) (TV) (producer)
- Hotel (2003) (TV) (executive producer)
- What a Girl Wants (2003) (producer)
- Eloise at the Plaza (2003) (TV) (executive producer)
- Eloise at Christmastime (2003) (TV) (executive producer)
- Catwoman (2004) (producer)
- Sudbury (2004) (TV) (executive producer)
- New York Minute (2004/I) (producer)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005) (producer)
- Lucky You (2007) (producer)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (2008) (producer)
- Nights in Rodanthe (2008) (producer)
- Ramona and Beezus (2010) (producer)
- Monte Carlo (2011) (producer)
- Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) (producer)
- The Lucky One (2012) (producer)
- You're Not You (2013) (producer)
- Focus (2014) (producer)
- Denise Di Novi at the Internet Movie Database
- Profile of Di Novi, Lukeford.net
- Profile of Di Novi, Filmbug.com
- Movieline 1994 profile article