Diplomatic relations were established after the "Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation between Japan and Denmark" in 1867. Relations between the countries have been friendly since 1867. But the bilateral relations were severed in the Second World War. A bilateral agreement was signed in 1952.
In 1988, the trade between Denmark and Japan reached $2 billion. The main exports from Japan are passenger cars, motorcycles, and computers. Pork, medicines, shrimp, and cheese are the main imports from Denmark. Danish investments in Japan are Lego and Novo Nordisk.
High level visits
Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi visited Denmark in 2002 and former Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen visited to Japan in 2002 and 2006. Former Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama made three unofficial visits to Denmark in 2009. Once in connection with Tokyo City's Olympic bid that was decided in Copenhagen that year, and twice in connection with the COP 15 UN conference on Climate Change. Former Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen made an unofficial visit to Japan in Spring, 2009.
Franz-Michael Skjold Mellbin
Franz-Michael Skjold Mellbin is the current Ambassador of Denmark to Japan. His term of appointment began September 1, 2008 and he presented his credentials to the Emperor of Japan, Akihito on November 4, 2008.
- Danish embassy in Japan
- Japanese embassy in Denmark
- 500 Danes in Tokyo (Danish)
- History of the Bilateral Relationship
- 講談社 (1993). Japan: an illustrated encyclopedia Part one. Kodansha. p. 1924.
- Exchange of notes constituting an agreement concerning the resumption of diplomatic relations. Tokyo, 29 February 1952
- Keizai Kōhō Sentā (1981). Speaking of Japan part 10. Tokyo, Japan: Keizai Koho Center.
- Economic relations
- "Ambassadøren - Danmarks Ambassade Tokyo". Ambtokyo.um.dk. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Event 2008 Accreditation in Tokyo - Mellbin's Photo and Pictures Franz-Michael S. Mellbin JPG JPEG". Photo.mellbin.com. 2008-11-04. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Internationalization and university curricula in Denmark and Japan
- PPH between Denmark and Japan
- Exchange Agreement
- International Bilateral/Multilateral Cooperation Frameworks between India and other countries for cooperation in New and Renewable Energy