Denmark–Nicaragua relations refers to the bilateral relationship between Denmark and Nicaragua. Denmark is accredited to Nicaragua from its embassy in La Paz, Bolivia. Nicaragua is accredited to Denmark from its embassy in Helsinki, Finland. The relations are described as good. Nicaragua is a Danish programme country since 1993.
The Danish-Nicaraguan development co-operation began in 1981. In 1993, Nicaragua was chosen as one of 20 programme countries for Danish development assistance. In 1989 Denmark was part of a group of countries that combined to give $20 million to Nicaragua in response to domestic concessions which led to the 1990 general election which ousted the Sandinista National Liberation Front from power. In the 1990s, Denmark donated $1.8 million to support the clearance of landmines in Nicaragua. 8,700 landmines were cleared in the area where Denmark finances activities.
In July 2007 the Danish Development Research Network secretariat compiled an overview of on-going research collaboration between Denmark and Nicaragua within the areas of agriculture, environment and governance.
In 2009 Denmark announced it would reduce its aid from about $35 million in 2009 to about $26 million in 2010, also saying it would redirect some of the aid towards civil society actors rather than direct assistance to Nicaragua's government. The announcement was made by Danish development cooperation minister Ulla Tørnæs during a visit to the Latin American country where she met president Daniel Ortega. Tørnæs also called on the Nicaraguan government to respect democratic norms with regards to free elections.
In 2010 Denmark went on to announce their intention to stop providing all development funds to Nicargaua, though they did not indicate a firm date for this to happen. This was presented as part of Denmarks overall strategy to stop giving aid to Latin American countries so it can better focus its development budget on Africa. In 2010, Lene Espersen said that Denmark will close their embassy in Managua.
- Embassy of Denmark in La Paz, Bolivia (in Danish and English)
- Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Copenhagen Diplomatic List (in Danish and English)
- Danida's Annual Report 04 - Bilateral Development Cooperation (PDF). DANIDA - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. 2005. p. 68. ISBN 87-7667-320-0. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Evaluation Report Danish Development Assistance to Nicaragua". DANIDA. 2002. p. 104. ISBN 87-7964-699-9. ISSN 1399-4972.
- Democracy and Socialism in Sandinista Nicaragua By Harry E. Vanden, Gary Prevost
- Landmine monitor report, 1999, ISBN 978-1-56432-231-9
- "Danish aid to Nicaragua". Foreign Ministry of Denmark (in Danish). Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Sumario de investigaciones danesas sobre Nicaragua. Agricultura, medio ambiente y gobernabilidad". Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Dinamarca reduce su ayuda a Nicaragua (Spanish)". El Nuevo Diario. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Denmark Withdraws Aid To Nicaragua". CentralAmericaData and La Prensa. 2010-03-19. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- "Dinamarca eliminará ayuda a Nicaragua" (in Spanish). La Prensa. 19 March 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- Staff writer (8 September 2009). "Denmark Reduces Nicaraguan Cooperation". Central America Data. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Denmark closes 4 embassies". Copenhagen Post. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Nicaragua takker nej til 18 millioner US dollar fra Danmark". Ulandsnyt.dk (in Danish). 12 February 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Fogh lover fortsat støtte til Nicaragua". Politiken (in Danish). 15 November 2003. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Objetivos principales de la cooperación danesa con Nicaragua". DANIDA (in Spanish). Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "La cooperación danesa y la Embajada de Dinamarca para Centroámerica consede en Nicaragua". Confidencial.com.ni (in Spanish). Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Impact evaluation of DANIDA support to rural transport infrastructure in Nicaragua". Confidencial.com.ni. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Danida-havn vendt til succes i Nicaragua". Ingeniøren (in Danish). Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Development Cooperation with Nicaragua". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (Denmark in Latin America) (in Danish). Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Danish companies in Nicaragua". Central America Data. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Nordic Cooperation and Coordination in relations to emergencies". Embassy of Denmark in Managua, Nicaragua. Retrieved 7 February 2011.