Dennis Richardson (diplomat)
|Richardson, pictured as the Australian Ambassador to the United States|
|Secretary of the Department of Defence|
18 October 2012
|Preceded by||Duncan Lewis|
|Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade|
January 2010 – 18 October 2012
|Preceded by||Michael L'Estrange|
|Succeeded by||Peter Varghese|
|Australian Ambassador to the United States|
|Preceded by||Michael Thawley|
|Succeeded by||Kim Beazley|
|10th Director-General of Security|
11 October 1996 – 27 May 2005
|Prime Minister||John Howard|
|Preceded by||David Sadleir|
|Succeeded by||Paul O'Sullivan|
|Born||Dennis James Richardson
14 May 1947
Kempsey, New South Wales
|Alma mater||University of Sydney (BA hons)|
Dennis James Richardson AO (born 14 May 1947 in Kempsey, New South Wales) is an Australian public servant and former diplomat. Richardson is currently the Secretary of the Department of Defence, since 18 October 2012.
Background and career
Richardson was employed in the Australian foreign service, was a Principal Adviser to the Prime Minister, and Head of the Review of the Intelligence Community. He held various roles in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, was a Deputy Secretary at the Department of Immigration and Ethnic Affairs (1993–96), and Director-General of Security of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation from October 1996.
He was previously Australian Ambassador to the United States of America (2005–10) and Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (2010–12). While Australian Ambassador to the US, he visited all 50 states; instead of flying to all the states—except for Hawaii—he and his wife drove. In just about every place, he says they were made welcome by the American people.
Richardson is married to Betty, and has two children.
- "Mr Dennis J Richardson AO – Ambassador to United States of America". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- The Great APS Graduate Debate 2011, 2 August 2011, p. 7, archived from the original on 5 February 2014
- Kerr, Christian (13 August 2008). "Dennis Richardson to DFAT as Rudd purges public service posts". The Australian.
- "Aussie diplomat makes U.S. road trip". Washington Times. 1 July 2009.
- "RICHARDSON, Dennis James: Officer of the Order of Australia". It's an Honour. Commonwealth of Australia. 9 June 2003. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dennis Richardson (diplomat).|
|Australian Ambassador to the United States
|Director-General of Security
|Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
|Secretary of the Department of Defence