- Not to be confused with hydrometer which measures mass density of liquids.
A densitometer is a device that measures the degree of darkness (the optical density) of a photographic or semitransparent material or of a reflecting surface. The densitometer is basically a light source aimed at a photoelectric cell. It determines the density of a sample placed between the light source and the photoeectric cell from differences in the readingsl. Modern densitometers have the same components, but also have electronic integrated circuitry for better reading.
- Transmission densitometers that measure transparent materials
- Reflection densitometers that measure light reflected from a surface.
Applications in Photography
Some modern types of German manufacture are capable of both types of measurements selectable by a switch. They are used in film photography to measure densities of negatives with the switch in the "T" (Transmission) position and the saturation of a resulting print in the "R" position. Such measurements enable the photographer to choose the right photo paper and the correct exposure, obviating experiments with test strips. Once the papers and darkroom have been calibrated, the first print from a previously measured negative is a success at once.
- Densitometers are used for measuring color saturation by print professionals
- Calibration of printing equipment
- It serve as one of the Molecular tools for gene study, to quantify the radioactivity of a compound such as a radiolabe DNA.
- They are also used for making adjustments so that outputs are consistent with the colors desired in the finished products.
- "301 Medical Densitometer - Black & White Film Measuring". X-Rite. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Unbound MEDLINE : An evaluation of a rotating drum densitometer and its application to precession photographs of protein crystal". Unboundmedicine.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- Health Physics Division annual progress report - Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Health Physics Division, Union Carbide Corporation, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, United States. Energy Research and Development Administration, United States. National Bureau of Standards. Fracture and Deformation Division, United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Fusion Energy, United States. National Bureau of Standards - Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- Industrial Instrumentation & Control,2e - S. K. Singh - Google Books. Books.google.de. Retrieved 2014-08-23.