Dental nasal click
|Dental nasal click|
The dental nasal click is a click consonant found primarily among the languages of southern Africa. The symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represents this sound is ⟨ǀ̃⟩ or ⟨ᵑǀ⟩; a symbol abandoned by the IPA but still preferred by some linguists is ⟨ʇ̃⟩ or ⟨ᵑʇ⟩.
Features of the dental nasal click:
- The airstream mechanism is lingual ingressive (also known as velaric ingressive), which means a pocket of air trapped between two closures is rarefied by a "sucking" action of the tongue, rather than being moved by the glottis or the lungs/diaphragm. The release of the forward closure produces the "click" sound. Voiced and nasal clicks have a simultaneous pulmonic egressive airstream.
- Its place of articulation is dental, which means it is articulated with the tongue at either the upper or lower teeth, or both. (Most stops and liquids described as dental are actually denti-alveolar.)
- Its phonation is voiced, which means the vocal cords vibrate during the articulation. However, in some languages, such as Swiss German, it can just mean that this consonant is pronounced shorter and weaker than its voiceless counterpart, while its voicedness or lack thereof is not relevant. In such cases it's more accurate to call such sounds lenis or lax.
- It is a nasal consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the nose, either exclusively (nasal stops) or in addition to through the mouth.
- It is a central consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream along the center of the tongue, rather than to the sides.
|Zulu||incwancwa||[iᵑǀwáːᵑǀwa] = [iʇ̃wáːʇ̃wa]||sour corn meal|
|Hadza||minca||[miᵑǀa] = [miʇ̃a]||to smack one's lips|
|Khoekhoe||ǀnam||[ǀnȁm̀] = [ʇ̃ȁm̀]||to love|
Glottalized dental nasal click
dental nasal click
All Khoisan languages, and a few Bantu languages, have glottalized nasal clicks. These are formed by closing the glottis so that the click is pronounced in silence; however, any preceding vowel will be nasalized.
|Hadza||tacce||[taᵑǀˀe] = [taʇ̃ˀe]||rope|
|Naro||Xgaoc’õ||[ǁχao̯ᵑǀˀõ] = [ʖχao̯ʇ̃ˀõ]||(personal name)|
|Khoekhoe||ǀoroǀoro||[ᵑǀˀòɾőᵑǀˀòɾȍ] = [ʇ̃ˀòɾőʇ̃ˀòɾȍ]||to wear s.t. out|
|Xhosa||umchankcatho||[umǀʰaᵑǀˀatʰo] = [umʇʰaʇ̃ˀatʰo]||a bridge|