|Type||Private joint venture|
|Headquarters||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|Key people||Lian Yubo (CEO)|
|Owners||BYD Auto (50%)
Daimler AG (50%)
Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd., trading as Denza, is an automobile manufacturing company headquartered in Shenzhen, China, specialised in luxury electric cars and a 50:50 joint venture between BYD Auto and Daimler AG. It was founded in May 2010. The joint venture first production model is the Denza all-electric car, with an all-electric range of up to 300 km (190 mi). While its sole model was scheduled to be launched in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen in September 2014, as of June 2014 the launch date has been pushed back to late 2014.
An invented name from the Chinese Tengshi (simplified Chinese: 腾势; traditional Chinese: 騰勢; pinyin: Téngshì), Denza means something like "rising power and momentum". Alternative translations include "win power" or "winning circumstances".
On 1 March 2010, BYD Auto and Daimler AG signed a memorandum of understanding for the joint development of electric vehicles. That initial link-up led to the creation of a new, equal-ownership legal entity, Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd., which was formally established on 27 May 2010 and received a business license from the Chinese state in March 2011. Its brand name, Denza, debuted in March 2012, and a new energy vehicle (NEV) concept car was first shown in April 2012 at the Auto China motor show in Beijing. It is expected that this product will be offered as a luxury car.
Denza is constructing an assembly plant in Pingshan, Shenzhen, which will have an annual capacity of 40,000 vehicles.
Successful sales may depend on subsidies provided by the Chinese government. The chairman of the Chinese co-owner of Denza expressed his hope that these would be in place by mid-2013, and many of the press releases posted on the Denza website concern subsidies. Prior electric car grants were in effect for only two years starting in 2010, but in September 2013 a scheme providing cash payments to buyers of all-electric and hybrid vehicles was established.
Models and products
Denza all-electric car
Denza’s first car is an all-electric four-door, five passenger battery electric vehicle (BEV), the Denza. The car is powered by 86 kW electric motor that provides a maximum speed of up to 150 km/h (93 mph). The Denza has a 47.5 kWh lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery system capable of delivering an all-electric range of up to 300 km (190 mi). Charging time varies between seven hours to one hour depending on the voltage of the charging facility.
Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co announced that retail price of the Denza will start at CN¥369,000 (~ US$59,000) before any government incentives for new electric vehicles. The Denza will be exempted from the standard license plate lottery in Beijing, or free license plates in Shanghai and Shenzhen; and central and local subsidies totaling up to almost CN¥120,000 (~ US$19,000) that can be deducted from the vehicle price at the point of sale. Initial deliveries of the vehicle are planned for September 2014. The electric car initially will be available only in Beijing (Pangda Group), Shanghai (Lei Shing Hong Group), and Shenzhen (Zhongsheng Group). In a second phase the car will be available in Guangzhou, Hangzhou, and Tianjin.
- "Auto Show Concludes, China Brands Rise". CRI English. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Daimler Press Release (2014-04-21). "Daimler-BYD JV unveils battery-electric DENZA at Auto China; 47.5 kWh pack; focus on safety". Green Car Congress. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "Daimler expects sales to surpass Audi, BMW in China this year". reuters.com. Thomson Reuters. Jul 6, 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Brand". Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "UPDATE 2-Daimler and BYD sign agreement on electric cars". reuters.com (Thomson Reters). 1 March 2010. Retrieved 23 Sep 2013.
- "Daimler and BYD Put Electric Car Venture in Gear". The New York Times. 28 May 2010. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Company". Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Joint Venture between BYD and Daimler Receives Business License". BYD Auto. 2011-03-01.
- For brand name debut, see "Daimler and BYD launch new electric car brand". China Daily. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- For concept car showing, see "Denza debuts first model in Beijing". The Malaysian Insider. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Lau, Shirley (23 Sep 2013). "Hybrid Hothouse". Money Magazine. South China Morning Post. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "BYD-Daimler JV builds Denza EV production line in Pingshan, Shenzhen". Just Auto. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Alison Leung and Fang Yan (Mar 25, 2013). "UPDATE 1-China to resume electric car subsidies - BYD chairman". reuters.com. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Home > News > Incentives". denza.com. Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Even the Chinese government can’t command progress on electric cars". Quartz. Atlantic Media Company. September 22, 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.