|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Sri Madhopur, Sikar|
The victim was a well educated 17 year old woman named Roop Kanwar, who was a resident of the village and whose husband, Mal Singh Shekhawat, had died of disease the previous day. While many details remain unclear, many[who?] claim that she took the decision to follow the ancient custom and died on the funeral pyre of her husband, while the general feeling is that she was forced by the villagers on to the pyre, perhaps after having been given some sedatives.
After she had burnt to death, the place was converted into a memorial and thousands of people from surrounding regions started visiting it, though afterwards the area was sealed in order not to promote sati as a legitimate action, and to prevent similar incidents happening in the future.
Although family members and others were arrested following this incident, they were finally acquitted. Many are not fully satisfied with the judgement. Women's organizations pressurized the government to reopen the case 
Publications such as outlook magazine have highlighted positive developments from the village, such as election of a women sarpanch to highlight the change in people's perception of women's place in the society 
The village population is over 9,000.
- Deorala Episode: Women's Protest in Rajasthan Sharada Jain, Nirja Misra and Kavita Srivastava Economic and Political Weekly Vol. 22, No. 45 (Nov. 7, 1987), pp. 1891+1893-1894 (article consists of 3 pages) Published by: Economic and Political Weekly Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4377696
- Accused in Deorala `sati' case acquitted http://www.hindu.com/2004/02/01/stories/2004020101110700.htm
- `Sati' and the verdict http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl2105/stories/20040312002504600.htm
- Abraham, Susan.: The Deorala Judgement Glorifying Sati" by Susan Abraham. The Lawyers Collective. 12(6); June, 1997. p.4-12. http://www.womenstudies.in/elib/sati/sa_the_deorala.pdf
- HC orders reopening of Deorala sati case http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2004-08-07/open-space/27153961_1_sati-case-roop-kanwar-deorala
- Showing The Way In Deorala http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?204912