Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Produced by||Siddhant Oberoi
|Music by||Bappi Lahiri
|Edited by||Abhijit Kokate
|Distributed by||Viacom 18 Motion Pictures
Oberoi Line Productions
|Budget||200 million (US$3.2 million)|
|Box office||12.5 million (US$200,000)
(complete run Days Total)
Department is a 2012 Bollywood action film directed by Ram Gopal Varma. The film stars Sanjay Dutt, Rana Daggubati and Amitabh Bachchan in lead roles. Several scenes were shot using Canon EOS 5D cameras. It received an 'A' certificate from the Indian Censor Board due to its obscene language and extreme violent content. The film released on 18 May 2012, and received mixed response from critics.
When Inspector Mahadev Bhosale (Sanjay Dutt) is asked by his seniors to form a hit squad to take on the Mumbai underworld, he recruits Shiv Narayan (Rana Daggubati), an honest and brave police officer who had been suspended for an encounter killing. Together, Mahadev and Shiv along with others in the "Department" take on underworld don Sawatya (Vijay Raaz) and his gang. Sawatya, in spite of many exhortations by his number two, D.K. (Abhimanyu Singh), and D.K.’s feisty girlfriend, Naseer (Madhu Shalini), does not hit back at the police.
There is also the gangster-turned-minister, Sarjerao Gaikwad (Amitabh Bachchan), who takes Shiv under his wing after Shiv saves his life at a public rally. Mahadev warns Shiv that Sarjerao is just using him. After a certain turn of events, it is exposed that Mahadev is actually working for Mohammad Gauri, who is actually an underworld don, and is, at the ganglord’s behest, finishing off Sawatya’s gang. While Shiv declines to be a part of Mahadev’s corrupt world, and Mahadev agrees to let him be, things start falling apart between the mentor and the apprentice when Shiv starts taking on a sub-gang formed by D.K., under Mahadev’s protection.
What happens next? Do Mahadev and Shiv come to loggerheads? What about the Sawatya and Mohammad Gauri gangs? What role does Sarjerao play in the final outcome of all this? The rest of the drama answers these questions.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Sarjerao Gaikwad, a gangster-turned politician
- Sanjay Dutt as Inspector Mahadev Bhosle, the DSP of an encounter squad
- Rana Daggubati as Inspector Shivnarayan, an encounter specialist
- Vijay Raaz as Sawatya, Mumbai Don
- Abhimanyu Singh as D.K., Right-hand man of Sawatya
- Deepak Tijori as Inspector Danaji, an honest member of the department
- Lakshmi Manchu as Satya Bhosle (Mahadev's Wife)
- Anjana Sukhani as Bharati (Shivnarayan's Wife)
- Madhu Shalini as Naseer, D. K.'s gun moll
- Neeraj Vora as Lalchand and Valchand
- Nilesh Girkar (Story, Screenplay, & Dialogue)
|Soundtrack album by Bappi Lahiri
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The soundtrack is composed by Bappi Lahiri along with Dharam-Sandeep and Vikram Magi. The music received positive response worldwide.
|1||"Dan Dan Cheeni Shoot Mix"||Paroma P.Dasgupta, Ravi, Sandeep Patil||4:05|
|2||"Kammo"||Mika Singh, Sudesh Bhosle||5:18|
|3||"Theme Of Department – Ek Do Teen Chaar"||Sandeep Patil||4:11|
|4||"Bad Boys"||Ritu Pathak, Earl||4:05|
|5||"Mumbai Police"||Sanjay Dutt, Farhad Bhiwandiwala||4:35|
Department received negative reviews upon release from critics as well as audiences. Rajeev Masand of IBNLive writes "I'm going with one-and-a-half out of five for Ramgopal Varma's 'Department'. It's a lazy, indulgent film that tests your threshold for pain." Raja Sen of Rediff.com rated the film 1 out of 5 stars and writes"Ram Gopal Varma's Department takes his increasingly schizoid cinematographic tendencies into a whole other league, and gives us, besides watery eyes and potential nausea, the filmmaker at his most insipid" Moviezadda rated the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and said, "The story starts with some of the topnotch officials in Police Department who are trying to explain the current scenario of Underworld terror in the country.(Department -Only for the Love of Politics!)"   Review Aggregator Bollymoviereviewz gave it a score of 1.34 out of 5 based on ratings from all professional critics  Real-time public review aggregator site BollywoodCritic.com gave it a score of 1.19 out of 5 based on ratings from public citing poor story line.
Department had an poor opening at the box office. It was able to gross only 6% of its budget during its lifetime run.
- "Department". The Times Of India. 10 April 2012.
- Smith, Ian Hayden (2012). International Film Guide 2012. p. 141. ISBN 978-1908215017.
- "Censor bans Department’s police song". The Times Of India. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "The filmmaker criticised Sanjay’s interference after ‘Department’s poor show at the BO". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Kini, Nandan. "Department – Movie Review". Movie Talkies. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Guha, Kunal. "Department – Movie Review". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Department Review".
- "Review Department".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Department (film).|
- Department at the Internet Movie Database
- Department Movie Cast And Crew
- IANS Review (Rating: ***)