Department of Education (Australia)
|Formed||18 September 2013|
|Preceding Department||Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Ministers responsible||Christopher Pyne,
Minister for Education
Assistant Minister for Education
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Education
|Department executives||Lisa Paul, Secretary
Tony Cook, Associate Secretary, Early Childhood, Schools and Youth
Robert Griew, Associate Secretary, Higher Education, Research and International
Martin Hehir, Deputy Secretary, Schools and Youth
Craig Storen, Deputy Secretary (acting), Corporate and Network
Jackie Wilson, Deputy Secretary, Early Childhood
The Australian Department of Education is a department of the Government of Australia charged with the responsibility for national policies and programs that help Australians access quality and affordable childcare; early childhood education, school education, post-school, higher education, international education and academic research.
The head of the department is the Secretary of the Department of Education, currently Lisa Paul AO PSM, who reports to the Minister for Education, currently the Hon. Christopher Pyne MP, the Assistant Minister for Education, currently the Hon. Sussan Ley MP, and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Education, currently Senator the Hon. Scott Ryan.
The department was formed by way of an Administrative Arrangements Order issued on 18 September 2013 and replaced the functions previously performed by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). DEEWR was formed in 2007 and absorbed the former Department of Education, Science and Training and the former Department of Employment and Workplace Relations.
The functions of the department are broadly classified into the following matters:
- Schools education policy and programs, including vocational education and training in schools, but excluding migrant adult education
- Schooling transitions policy and programs including career pathways
- Education and training transitions policy and programs
- Youth affairs and programs, including youth transitions
- Early childhood and childcare policy and programs
- Co-ordination of early childhood development policy and responsibilities
- Higher education policy, regulation and programs
- Policy, coordination and support for international education
- CA 9432: Department of Education [III], Central office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 9 April 2014
- "Secretary". Department of Education. Commonwealth of Australia. October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Associate Secretaries and Deputy Secretaries". Department of Education. Commonwealth of Australia. October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Home page". Department of Education. Commonwealth of Australia. October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Abbott Ministry" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangements Order" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.