Department of Health (Isle of Man)
|Department of Health|
|Formed||1 April 2010|
|Preceding Department||Department of Health and Social Security|
|Jurisdiction||Isle of Man|
|Headquarters||Crookall House, Demesne Road, Douglas, Isle of Man|
|Annual budget||£178.4m for 2013 - 2014|
|Minister responsible||Hon David Anderson MHK, Minister for Health|
|Department executive||David Killip, Chief Executive|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
The Department of Health (Manx: Rheynn Slaynt) is one of nine departments of the Isle of Man Government. It was created on 1 April 2010, taking on the health services and public health functions of the former Department of Health and Social Security. On 1 August 2012 the Isle of Man's Mental Health Services were transferred from the Department of Social Care to the Department of Health, which also saw the creation of a post for a second Member for the Department with specific responsibility for Mental Health.
The Department of Health is the largest in terms of personnel, which is estimated to stand at 1,983.51 full time equivalent employees at 31 March 2014, representing approx. 25% of central government's public sector workforce.
- Acute Care
- Primary Care
- Public Health
- Mental Health
- Nurse and Medical Education and Training
Current and previous Ministers
Ministers for Health
Former Ministers for Health and Social Security
- Hon Eddie Teare MHK, 15 December 2006 - 31 March 2010
- Hon Steve Rodan MHK, 30 June 2004 - 15 December 2006
- Hon Clare Christian MLC, 6 December 1996 - 30 June 2004
- Hon Bernie May MHK, 18 December 1991 - 6 December 1996
- Hon Jim Cain MHK, 19 December 1989 - 18 December 1991
- Hon Tony Brown MHK, 16 December 1986 - 19 December 1989
Health functions were part of the Department of Health and Social Security prior to the formation of the Department for Health on 1 April 2010.
Former Chairmen of the Health Services Board
- Arnold Callin MHK, 15 December 1981 - 16 December 1986
- Bert Creer MHK, 1975 - 15 December 1981
- Unknown 1971 - 1975
- Cecil McFee MHK, 1967 - 1971
- Sir Charles Kerruish MHK, 1955 - 1967
- Thomas Cowin MHK, 6 July 1948 - 1955
Members for Health
- Bill Henderson MHK - Member for Mental Health Services, 7 May 2013 - present.
- Dudley Butt MLC - Member for Health Services, 1 April 2010 – present.
Former Members for Health
- Patin, Charles Guy: The Early Days - The introduction of the Manx National Health Service, p. 34. Pantin Publishing, printed by The Copy Shop. ISBN 0-9550191-0-9.