Department of Public (Tamil Nadu)
|தமிழ்நாடு பொது துறை|
|Minister responsible||O.Panneerselvam, Chief Minister & Minister for Public Department|
|Agency executives||Thiru Debendranath Sarangi IAS, Chief Secretary
Thiru Kumar Jayant, IAS, Secretary to the Government
|Parent agency||Government of Tamil Nadu|
The Tamil Nadu Public Department is one of the Department of Government of Tamil Nadu
- This Department is the largest Department in the Tamil Nadu Secretariat. Initially, it was known as Chief Secretariat as this was the main Department controlling the major important subjects of Secretariat under the direct control of the Chief Secretary and also under the control of the Hon’ble Chief Minister.
- Subsequently, owing to the increase in the subjects, it was decided to delink all administrative matters in a separate Department. Thus, Personnel & Administrative Reforms Department was culled out from this Department.
- Chief Secretariat is now known as Public Department, which consists of 57 sections.
Objective & Functions of the Department
The Public Department functions under the direct control of the Chief Secretary and deals with certain important matters concerning the General Administration of the State. Some of the important subjects dealt with by the Public Department are:
- Matters relating to Law and Order
- Matters relating to IAS officers, District Revenue Officers and Secretariat Officers of the level of Deputy Secretary to Government and above excepting Law, Legislative Assembly, Finance and Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Departments.
- Protocol work
- Welfare of Refugees and Repatriates
- Grant of Pension to Freedom Fighters and their dependants and Ex-INA Personnel
- Welfare of Ex-servicemen and Administration of Ex-servicemen Corporation
- Chief Minister’s Special Cell
- Maintenance of buildings within the Secretariat Campus
- Affairs of Inter-State Council and Southern Zonal Councils / National Integration Council
- Matters relating to Extension of issue of all kinds of visa to
- foreigners coming to India (except Pakistan & Bangladesh), Exit permission, Authentication of Certificates, documents, etc.
- Administration of Government Guest Houses in New Delhi, Chennai and Udhagamandalam
- Besides, it deals with matters relating to His Excellency the Governor and the Council of Ministers.
- It liaises with the Ministries of Defence, External Affairs and Home on all matters of common interest between the State and the Central Government.
- It also looks after establishment matters relating to the personal staff of the Council of Ministers, provision of motor vehicles, stationery items, telephones and other office requirements of the Ministers
Sub - Departments
|Department of Rehabilitation|
|Department of Ex-Servicemen's Welfare|
Undertakings & Bodies
|Tamil Nadu State Human Rights Commission||http://www.shrc.tn.nic.in/|
Present Ministers (2014-Till)
- Jayalalithaa - Chief Minister & Minister for Public Department
- Government of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Government's Departments
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (India)
- Department of Finance (Kerala)
- "Chief Minister & Minister for Public". Government of Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Chief Secretary". Government of Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Secretary to the Government". Government of Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "History of departments". Government of Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Functions of the Department". Government of Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2012-10-30.