Department of Social Services (Australia)
|Formed||18 September 2013|
|Preceding Department||Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Ministers responsible||Kevin Andrews, Minister for Social Services
Mitch Fifield, Assistant Minister for Social Services
Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Social Services
|Department executives||Finn Pratt, Secretary
Michael Lye, Deputy Secretary (acting)
Serena Wilson, Deputy Secretary
Felicity Hand, Deputy Secretary & Chief Operating Officer
Barbara Bennett, Deputy Secretary
David Martine, Deputy Secretary
|Child agencies||Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency
Australian Institute of Family Studies
National Disability Insurance Agency
Social Security Appeals Tribunal
The Australian Department of Social Services is a department of the Government of Australia charged with the responsibility for national policies and programs that help deliver a strong and fair society for all Australians. The department develops and implements social policy.
The head of the department is the Secretary of the Department of Social Services, currently Finn Pratt, who reports to the Minister for Social Services, currently the Hon. Kevin Andrews MP, the Assistant Minister for Social Services, currently Senator the Hon. Mitch Fifield, and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Social Services, currently Senator the Hon. Concetta Fierravanti-Wells.
The department was formed by way of an Administrative Arrangements Order issued on 18 September 2013 and replaced the majority of the functions previously performed by the former Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA); with the exception of Office of Indigenous Policy Coordination, that was transferred to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- Ageing research
- Income security and support policies and programs for families with children, carers, the aged, people with disabilities and people in hardship
- Income support policies for students and apprentices
- Services for families with children, people with disabilities and carers
- Services for older people, including their carers
- Policy for and promotion of active ageing, other than employment policy
- Community mental health
- Community support services
- Family relationship, Family and Children’s Support Services
- Social housing, rent assistance and homelessness
- Child support policy
- Housing affordability
- Services to help people with disabilities obtain employment
- Arrangements for the settlement of migrants and humanitarian entrants, other than migrant child and migrant adult education
- Non-profit sector and volunteering
- Multicultural affairs
- CA 9434: Department of Social Services [II], Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 9 April 2014
- "Secretary". Department of Education. Commonwealth of Australia. October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Abbott Ministry" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangements Order" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Packham, Ben (18 September 2013). "Tony Abbott puts broom through bureaucracy". The Australian. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Tony Abbott (18 September 2013). "The Coalition will restore strong, stable and accountable government". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Canberra, Australia: Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Wilson, Lauren (19 September 2013). "Coalition carves up the public service". The Australian. Retrieved 24 September 2013.