Department of the Army Superior Civilian Service Award
|Superior Civilian Service Award|
Medal of the award
|Awarded by Department of the Army|
|Eligibility||Army civilian employees and direct/indirect-hire foreign nationals|
|Awarded for||Superior service, achievement, or heroism|
|Established||13 April 1987|
|Next (higher)||Department of the Army Meritorious Civilian Service Award|
|Next (lower)||Commander's Award for Civilian Service|
|Related||Meritorious Service Medal|
Ribbon bar of the award
The Superior Civilian Service Award is the third highest award of the Department of the Army Honorary Awards for Department of the Army Employees. It consists of a medal, lapel pin and certificate. It is granted by any commander of the rank of Brigadier General and above, or civilian equivalent.
Nominations for this award reflect superior service, achievement or heroism of a lesser degree than that recognized by the Meritorious Civilian Service Award. Employees who have shown excellent performance through the previous receipt of honorary or monetary performance awards, can be considered for this award. Eligibility is determined by measuring contributions against the following example levels of achievement:
- Accomplished assigned duties in a superior manner, leading team members to higher productivity, or completing a complex project more effectively and efficiently than required.
- Demonstrated a high level of initiative and skill in devising new and improved equipment, work methods, and procedures; inventions resulting in substantial savings in expenses such as manpower, time, space, and materials, or improved safety or health of the workforce.
- Exhibited courage or competence in an emergency, while performing assigned duties, resulting in direct benefit to the Government or its personnel. This award is comparable to the military Meritorious Service Medal. 
The medal of the award is a bronze disc 32 mm in diameter. On the obverse is the central portion of the Department of the Army Seal encircled by the words, in relief, “SUPERIOR CIVILIAN SERVICE”. The edge is encircled by a laurel wreath. The reverse contains the inscription “DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY” arching along the upper edge, while the lower edge contains a laurel wreath, extending up to the inscription. The medal is suspended from a crimson ribbon 35 mm in width with four thin white stripes in the center.
- "Army Regulation 672–20 Incentive Awards". Headquarters, Department of the Army. 29 January 1999. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Superior Civilian Service Award". Army Public Service Awards. The Institute of Heraldry. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Department of the Army Superior Civilian Service Award". Department of the Army Honorary Awards for Department of the Army Employees. US Army Civilian Personnel Online. 2 December 2008. Retrieved 10 July 2011.