Dependency Walker or depends.exe is a free program for Microsoft Windows used to list the imported and exported functions of a portable executable file. It also displays a recursive tree of all the dependencies of the executable file (all the files it requires to run). Dependency Walker was included in Microsoft Visual Studio until Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8.0) and Windows XP SP2 support tools.
- Runs on Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7 and 8
- List all dependent modules (portable executables)
- Supports 64-bit and Windows CE executables
- Detects if the module is programmed in C or C++
- Detects modules not listed in the import address table
- Color coding of the list to help highlight problems (broken dependencies are highlighted in red)
- Traces dependencies recursively, and lists dependencies of all modules in a tree view