Southeast entrance to Deptford Mall
|Location||Deptford Township, NJ, United States|
|Owner||The Macerich Company|
|No. of stores and services||160+|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,042,000 sq ft (96,800 m2)|
|No. of floors||2 (Boscov's 3 floors)|
The Deptford Mall is a major shopping destination in Deptford Township, Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. It is the seventh largest mall in the state of New Jersey and the largest in the state's South Jersey region. Owned and managed by The Macerich Company, it is the county's only indoor regional shopping center. The fully enclosed mall opened in August 1975 with three anchor stores — Sears, Bamberger's and Wanamaker's — and 150+ specialty stores. Today, the mall is anchored by Boscov's, JCPenney, Macy's and Sears. The mall is located off of Route 42 and Route 55 at County Route 544. The mall has a gross leasable area of 1,042,000 sq ft (96,800 m2), making it the largest mall in the Gloucester County region, and placing it in the top eleven among the largest shopping malls in New Jersey.
In January 2007, Macerich purchased the Deptford Mall for $241 million from Simon Property Group. By November 2012, the mall had completed its first renovation since the early 2000s with the vertical movement project, which involved of removing the two escalators the mall had and removing stairs at each end and at the center of the mall. They put up escalators at each end of the mall and made an elevator in the center, with corresponding stairs.
On August 5, 1996, an armed gunman attempted to rob an armored vehicle inside the mall. During the shootout, the gunman and a 17-year-old youth were killed on the scene. A younger girl who was in critical condition after being hit by ricochet later died from her injuries at the hospital.
- Boscov's - 160,350 sq ft (14,897 m2) (previously Wanamaker's, Hechts and Strawbridge's)
- JCPenney - 143,990 sq ft (13,377 m2)
- Macy's - 205,610 sq ft (19,102 m2) (previously Bamberger's)
- Sears - 159,880 sq ft (14,853 m2) (original anchor)
- "Deptford Mall Market Profile". Macerich. March 2012. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- About Deptford Township, accessed October 3, 2006
- Bennetta, Traci (January 10, 2007). "Macerich Buys Super Regional Mall; Sells 3 Others". CoStarGroup. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- Colimore, Edward et al. (August 6, 1996). "2 Dead In Deptford Mall Shootout 2 Also Hurt In Robbery; Suspects Are Sought". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Dooley, Tara et al. (August 8, 1996). "Girl Dies Of Wound In Mall Shooting Maureen Lavin Was Struck By A Stray Bullet During A Robbery Attempt In Deptford On Monday.". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deptford Mall.|