Der Landser (private, common soldier) was a German pulp magazine published by Pabel-Moewig and featuring mostly stories in World War II settings. The magazine was founded in 1957 by the former Luftwaffe officer and writer Bertold K. Jochim (1921-2002), who later worked as its longtime editor in chief until 1999. In September 2013 its last owner the Bauer Media Group announced to cease the publication of the magazine.
The magazine claims that its war novels are true stories and that their underlying message is one of peace. In fact many of their stories come with disclaimer reminding the reader of the horrors of war. Critics however dismissed such claims as pure lip service to avoid getting indexed by the Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien which started to index several of their editions in the 50s. Since its founding the magazine has been criticized for glorifying war and delivering a distorted image of the Wehrmacht and Nazi Germany during World War II. The content of novels is accurate regarding minor technical details, but its descriptions are often not authentic and withhold important context information from the reader. No Information on antisemitism, German war crimes, the repressive nature of the German government or the causes of the war is given. Germany's leading news magazine Der Spiegel has described Der Landser once as the expert journal for the whitewashing of the Wehrmacht ("Fachorgan für die Verklärung der Wehrmacht").
- "German Magazine Said to Glorify Nazis Will End". The New York Times. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Corinna Bochmann: Jugendgefährdende Medien im Rechtsextremismus aus Sicht der BPJM (PDF). S.1. Jahrestagung 2006.
- Kampferprobte Verbände. In DER SPIEGEL 32/1998 3 August 1998, p. 28
- Dirk Wilking: "Der Landser" - Wie ein Mann ein Mann wird (pdf). In Wolfram Hülsemann, Michael Kohlstruck (Hrsg): Mobiles Beratungsteam - Einblicke. Brandenburgische Universitätsdruckerei 2004, ISBN 3-00-015288-1, p. 61-95 (German)
- Torben Fischer, Matthias N. Lorenz: Lexikon der "Vergangenheitsbewältigung" in Deutschland: Debatten- und Diskursgeschichte des Nationalsozialismus nach 1945. transcript Verlag 2007, ISBN 978-3-89942-773-8, p. 115-117 (online copy, p. 115, at Google Books) (German)
- Hagen Fleischer: The Past Beneath the present (pdf). Historein Volume 4 (2003-4), p. 65