Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde
|Society for German Shepherd Dogs|
|Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde|
|Formation||April 22, 1899|
|Founder(s)||Max von Stephanitz, Arthur Meyer|
|Vorsitzender (President)||Mr Wolfgang Henke|
|Affiliations||FCI, VDH, WUSV|
The Verein für deutsche Schäferhunde (Society for German Shepherd Dogs), abbreviated as SV, is the dog club founded by Max von Stephanitz and his colleague, Arthur Meyer, in 1899. The SV set forward the standards of the German Shepherd Dog breed.
On the sidelines of a dog show in Karlsruhe in April 1899, von Stephanitz, Meyer, and a number of others decided to form a club for the German Shepherd Dog. On 22 April 1899, the Verein für deutsche Schäferhunde was formally established with its first headquarters in Stuttgart. Von Stephanitz was the Society's first President, and his dog, Hektor Linksrhien (known as Horand von Grafrath) was the first dog entered in the organization's breed registry, the Zuchtbuch für deutsche Schäferhunde, abbreviated as SZ'.
Overcoming old disputes
Von Stephanitz strongly believed that the German Shepherd Dogs' working ability was of the utmost importance and that aesthetics were less important. Thus, in order to avoid the arguments that lead to the disestablishment of an earlier club, the Phylax Society, the SV's first breed standard stipulated, "A pleasing appearance is desirable, but it can not put the dog's working ability into question."
Presidents of the SV
- 1899-1935: Captain Max von Stephanitz
- 1935-1945: Dr Kurt Roesebeck
- 1945-1956: Mr Caspar Katzmair
- 1956-1971: Dr Werner Funk
- 1971-1982: Dr Christoph Rummel
- 1982-1994: Mr Hermann Martin
- 1994-2002: Mr Peter Meßler
- 2002- : Mr Wolfgang Henke
(From: "Die Präsidenten des SV" (in German). OG Viechtach e. V. Retrieved 9 March 2014.)
- "About the Breed". German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria Inc. Archived from the original on 2008-07-20. Retrieved 2008-08-07. "They were joined by 9 other Co-founders ..."
- Verein für deutsche Schäferhunde. "Eine Idee findet ihre Organisation" (in German). Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- von Stephanitz, Max; Schwabacher, Joseph (1994). The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture. Hoflin Publishing Ltd. p. 12. ISBN 978-99932-80-05-7.