||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (April 2009)|
Near Yenepoya University/ University Road
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KA 19|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Mangalore|
Deralakatte is a village on the outskirts of Mangalore in Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka state in India. It was a hillock with a minor population many years ago. It is on the way to Mangalore University, Konaje from the heart of Mangalore city. The village has slowly transformed to a town with setting up of several educational institutes by the Nitte Education Trust and Yenepoya group.
Indian software giant Infosys technologies is also setting up development software centre in this place
Nitte Education Trust runs the following Institutes at Deralakatte
- KS Hegde Medical Academy also known as KSHEMA
- A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences
- Nitte Institute of Physiotherapy
- Nitte Usha Institute of Nursing Sciences
The Yenepoya Group (now Yenepoya University) runs the following institutions at Deralakatte:
- Yenepoya Medical College
- Yenepoya Dental College & Hospital
- Yenepoya College of Physiotherapy
- Yenepoya Nursing College
- 1 Institutions of higher education
- 2 Lecture halls and demonstration rooms
- 3 Other facilities
- 4 Hostels
- 5 Sports
- 6 Environment management system
- 7 Health care
- 8 Student welfare
- 9 Personal care department
- 10 External links
Institutions of higher education
(A Deemed University declared under Section 3 of the UGC Act,1956)
F. 9-11/2007-U.3 (A) Dated 27 February, 2008
PO, Nithyananda Nagar, Deralakatee, Mangalore-575 018 Karnataka
Islamic Academy of Education
The Islamic Academy of Education was established in 1991. It is a philanthropic Muslim Minority Trust, situated at Deralakatte village, 15 km from the city of Mangalore. It is dedicated to the upliftment of socially, economically and educationally backward communities by establishing institutions of higher learning. The Trust enjoys the support of the Yenepoya Group which was established in the year 1948, under the leadership of its Chairman Yenepoya Abdulla Kunhi. The institutions managed by the Yenepoya Trust includes, among others, Yenepoya Medical College, Yenepoya Dental College, Yenepoya Institute of Nursing Sciences, Yenepoya Nursing College and Yenepoya Physiotherapy College.
Yenepoya Medical College
The M.B.B.S. (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) course runs for four and a half years, followed by a one-year internship. The examination and award of degree are regulated by Yenepoya University, Mangalore, Karnataka. The Pre-Clinical and Para Clinical departments are housed in the Academic block. Laboratories, seminar rooms, departmental library, demonstration rooms, museums, etc. are also in the Academic block. A well-equipped 700-bed teaching hospital is attached to the college. The Yenepoya Medical College is headed by Dr R N Sujeer.
Courses offered for MS/MD (PG Medical Courses)
• MD (General Medicine) • MD (Paediatrics) • MD (Pathology) • MD (Anaesthesia) • MS (OBG) • MS (Orthopaedics) • MS (General Surgery) • MS (Ophthalmology) • MS (ENT) • MD (TB & Chest)
Yenepoya Dental College
The B.D.S. (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) course runs for four years, followed by a one-year internship. The examination and award of degree are regulated by Yenepoya University, Mangalore, Karnataka.
The Pre-Clinical departments are housed in the Academic block with all the required amenities. State-of-the-art dental clinics covering all dental specialties with more than 300 dental chairs are attached to the college. The Yenepoya Dental College is headed by Dr B H Sripathi Rao (former Executive Member, Dental Council of India (DCI) New Delhi).
M.S. MD (PG – Medical) and MDS (Master of Dental Surgery) courses runs for three years. The examination and award of degree are regulated by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
Courses offered: MDS (PG Dental Courses)
• Oral Medicine (Oral Diagnosis) and Radiology • Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery • Periodontics • Conservative Dentistry including Endodontics • Prosthodontics including Crown & Bridge. • Orthodontics • Paedodontics • Preventive and Community Dentistry • Oral Pathology & MicroBiology
The Library is housed in a three-story building with an area of about 35,000 sq ft (3,300 m2). All books as required by Medical Council of India and Dental Council of India are provided. Journal with back volumes are also available. The Library is divided into two separate sections: • Central Library • P.G. Library
• Circulation Service • Reference Service • Reprographic Service • Current Awareness Service • Internet/E-mail Service • Helinet Consortium - Access to e-journals & e-texts.
A separate museum for Anatomy, Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine are housed in the respective departments, with excellent collection of wet and dry specimens, embryology models and translight exhibits.
Lecture halls and demonstration rooms
• Seven Lecture Halls with seating capacity of above 120 each. • Audio Visual Teaching facilities with LCD projection systems • Conference halls with a seating capacity of 400 • Examination hall with a capacity to accommodate 600 students. • Demonstration Rooms and Service Rooms in every Department
• 24 hours diagnostic service laboratory • Medical Imaging facilities • Medical Record Library • Statistical Unit • Pharmacy • Central Sterilization Unit • Medical Workshop • Public Relations Department • Physical Education Department
Hostel for Students: Separate Hostels are provided for Men and Women with a capacity of 500 each within the Campus. All the rooms are well furnished and well equipped. The students are expected to stay in the hostels throughout the period of their study. The hostels have facilities to cater to both vegetarian & non-vegetarian students.
A large sports ground encompasses the campus with facilities for Football, Cricket, Hockey & various other sports activities. Basketball, Volleyball & Tennis courts are provided for, near the hostel premises. The indoor sports centre has facilities for Badminton, Table Tennis and it also houses a well-equipped Gym.
Environment management system
• Storm Water Harvesting system has been developed with a capacity of about 10 million Ltrs. as a secondary source of water for the Campus. • Sewage Treatment Plant is installed for recycling of sewage water and the same is used for gardening and toilet flushing. • Incinerators are provided within the Campus for the easy disposal of waste thus providing a tidy and hygienic campus. • Multi culture plantation is provided to make the campus green. • Solar system of water heating is provided for hot water facility for the students.
Students are subjected to a thorough medical check-up, immediately on joining the institution. Every student of the College shall be covered under a private health insurance plan which includes a majority of diagnostic tests and procedures as well as hospitalization.
A Student Welfare Bureau has been set up in order to guide and counsel the students to enable smooth functioning of all activities of the student body, both curricular and extracurricular. It is headed by the Student Welfare Officer, whose role is to establish a close rapport with the students and guide them in their personal problems as well.
The College, whenever required, offers its own professional English language teachers, with a view to cater the needs of non-native students, who need assistance in the English Language.
Personal care department
This Department is meant to help their students who find it difficult to cope with the pressures of professional college life. Management takes special care of such students in the form of counseling and personal contact with parents.