Derby (horse race)
A derby (UK // DAH-bee or US // DUR-bee) is a type of horse race, named after the Derby Stakes, still run at Epsom Downs Racecourse in England. That was in turn named after Edward Smith-Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby, who inaugurated the race in 1780. The best-known example in the United States is the Kentucky Derby.
Traditionally, the term "derby" is used strictly to refer to races restricted to three-year-olds, as the English and U.S. Triple Crown races all are. The most notable exceptions to this rule are the Hong Kong Derby and Singapore Derby, restricted to four-year-old Thoroughbreds, and the Canadian Pacing Derby, an annual harness race for "aged pacers" (Standardbreds) four years old and up.
|American Derby||Arlington Park, Arlington Heights, Illinois, USA[t 1]||1 3/16 miles[t 2]||1884|
|Australian Derby (also known as AJC Derby)||Randwick Racecourse, Sydney||2,400 metres||3 yr olds||1861||Late March or early April|
|Bangalore Derby||2,400 metres||4 yr olds & up|
|Epsom Derby (also known as The Derby, Derby Stakes and the English Derby)||Epsom Downs Racecourse, England||1 mile, 4 furlongs and 10 yards||3 yr olds colts and fillies||1780||1st Saturday in June[t 3]|
|French Derby (more often known as Prix du Jockey Club)||Chantilly Racecourse||2,100 metres (about 1 mile and 2½ furlongs)||3 yr olds colts and fillies||1836||Early June|
|German Derby||Horner Rennbahn, Hamburg||2,400 metres (about 1½ miles)||3 yr olds colts and fillies||1869||Early July|
|Hong Kong Derby||Sha Tin Racecourse||2,000 metres||4 yr olds||1873||mid March|
|Italian Derby (Derby Italiano)||Capannelle Racecourse||2200||1884|
|Indian Derby||Mahalaxmi Racecourse, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India||2,400 metres||4 yr olds||1943||1st Sunday in Feb.|
|Irish Derby||The Curragh, County Kildare, Ireland||1½ miles||3 yr olds||1866||Last Sunday in June[t 4]|
|Kentucky Derby||Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky, USA||1¼ miles||3 yr olds||1875||1st Saturday in May|
|New Zealand Derby||Ellerslie Racecourse, Auckland||2,400 metres (12 furlongs)||3yr olds||1860||1st Saturday in March|
|Singapore Derby||Kranji Racecourse||2,000 metres||4 yr olds||1880||Mid July|
|Swedish Trotting Derby (Svenskt Travderby)||Jägersro Racetrack, Malmö||2,640 metres (1,64 miles)||4yr olds||1928||1st Sunday in September|
|Tokyo Racecourse||2,400 metres||3 yr olds colts and fillies||1932||late May or Early June||The richest Derby in current date|
|Victoria Derby||Flemington Racecourse||2,500 metres||3 yr olds||1855|
- American Classic Races
- British Classic Races
- French Classic Races
- Thoroughbred horse racing
- Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing
- Ashok, Kalyan (11 July 2010), "Derby getting bigger and better", The Hindu
- Freeman, Morton S. (1997), A new dictionary of eponyms (Illustrated ed.), Oxford University Press US, ISBN 0-19-509354-2
- Reeves, Richard Stone (1997), Crown jewels of thoroughbred racing: original paintings (Illustrated ed.), Eclipse Press, ISBN 0-939049-90-2
- Schreifer, Kirk; Sivell, John (1996), America From Apple Pie To Ziegfeld Follies Book One: People 1 (Illustrated ed.), Full Blast Productions, ISBN 1-895451-17-5
- Vesey, Barbara (2003), The Hidden Places of East Anglia: Including Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire (7 ed.), Travel Publishing, ISBN 1-902007-91-3
|This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.