Derby Wharf Light
US Coast Guard photo
|Year first constructed||1871|
|Year first lit||1871|
|Deactivated||1977 - 1983|
|Markings / pattern||White Black|
|Focal height||25 feet (7.6 m)|
|Original lens||5th order Fresnel lens 1871-1906
4th order 1906-1910
6th order 1910-1970s
|Current lens||Solar-powered optic|
|Range||4 nautical miles (7.4 km; 4.6 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl R 6sec|
Derby Wharf Light Station
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Massachusetts TR|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||June 15, 1987|
It was built in 1871 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The United States Coast Guard Light List description is "White square tower. Maintained by the U.S. Park Service". The actual light is 25 feet (7.6 m) above Mean High Water. Its red light is visible for 4 nautical miles (7.4 km; 4.6 mi).
The Light Station was originally built in 1871 and used an oil lamp shining through a Fresnel lens. For many years, Derby Wharf Light had one of only 17 sixth-order Fresnel lenses in the United States. Today, the light is solar powered, and the light is a red flash every six seconds. In 2008, Eagle Scout Thomas Croteau of Troop 59, from nearby Peabody, Mass, fixed and re-painted the then-decrepit structure as his Eagle Project.
- Derby Waterfront District
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Salem, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, Massachusetts
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2010. p. 83.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Massachusetts". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
|This article about a National Register of Historic Places listing in Essex County, Massachusetts, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|