Derek Attridge FBA (6 May 1945) is a South African-born British academic in the field of English literature and the current Professor of English at the University of York; a post he has held since 2003.
Dr. Attridge's new work, The Cambridge History of South African Literature, to be co-edited with Dr. David Atwell of York, will mark the 10th time that Cambridge University Press will be publishing a work by Dr. Attridge.
Well-weighed Syllables: Elizabethan Verse in Classical Metres Cambridge University Press, 1974
The Rhythms of English Poetry Longman, 1982
Post-structuralist Joyce (co-edited with Daniel Ferrer) Cambridge University Press, 1984
The Linguistics of Writing: Arguments between Language and Literature (co-edited with Nigel Fabb, Alan Durant, and Colin MacCabe) Manchester University Press and Routledge, 1987
Post-structuralism and the Question of History (co-edited with Geoff Bennington and Robert Young) Cambridge University Press, 1987
Peculiar Language: Literature as Difference from the Renaissance to James Joyce. Cornell University Press and Methuen, 1988; reissued, Routledge, 2004
The Cambridge Companion to James Joyce (edited) Cambridge University Press 1990; second, revised edition, 2004
Acts of Literature, by Jacques Derrida (edited) Routledge, 1992
Poetic Rhythm: An Introduction Cambridge University Press, 1995
Writing South Africa: Literature, Apartheid, and Democracy 1970-1995 (co-edited with Rosemary Jolly). Cambridge University Press, 1998
Joyce Effects: On Language, Theory, and History Cambridge University Press, 2000
Semicolonial Joyce (co-edited with Marjorie Howes) Cambridge University Press, 2000
Meter and Meaning: An Introduction to Rhythm in Poetry (with Thomas Carper) Routledge, 2003
J. M.Coetzee and the Ethics of Reading: Literature in the Event University of Chicago Press and KwaZulu-Natal University Press, 2004
The Singularity of Literature Routledge, 2004
Ulysses: A Casebook (edited) Oxford University Press, 2004
How to Read Joyce Granta Books, 2007
Theory after 'Theory' (co-edited with Jane Elliott) Routledge, 2010
Reading and Responsibility: Deconstruction’s Traces Edinburgh University Press, 2010
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer - University of Southampton (1973–1984)
- Professor - University of Strathclyde (1984–1988)
- Various foreign appointments, including Leverhulme Research Professor - Rutgers University (1988–1998)
- Mr Derek Attridge (1945–1972)
- Dr Derek Attridge (1972–1984)
- Prof. Derek Attridge (1984–2007)
- Prof. Derek Attridge FBA (2007-)
Honours and awards
- ESSE Book Award (2006)
- Fellow - British Academy (2007)
- Audio of Derek Attridge's lecture "Reading and Responsibility." at Walter Chapin Simpson Center for the Humanities on October 16, 2007.
- " A link to Dr. Attridge's new Cambridge title, his 10th book to be published by the press.