Cianfrance at the screening of Blue Valentine during 18th Annual Hamptons Film Festival
|Born||Derek M. Cianfrance
January 1974 (age 40)
Lakewood, Colorado, United States
|Alma mater||University of Colorado|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Derek M. Cianfrance (born January 1974) is an American film director, cinematographer, screenwriter, and editor.
Life and career
Cianfrance attended the University of Colorado, studying film production under avant-garde filmmakers Stan Brakhage and Phil Solomon. At 23, he wrote, directed, and edited his first feature film, Brother Tied, which was well received at festivals including Sundance.
His second feature, Blue Valentine, starred Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. The two actors became familiar with their roles several years before filming but never met in person. The project was originally slated to shoot in California, but Cianfrance relocated to Brooklyn so that Williams could be with her daughter. There were no rehearsals and Cianfrance rarely shot more than one take per shot. The film was originally given an NC-17 rating, despite having little nudity and no violence. It has since been changed to an R-rating after an appeal was filed by the Weinstein company.
Blue Valentine star Gosling worked with Cianfrance again on The Place Beyond the Pines (2013), which followed a motorcycle stunt rider (Gosling) who becomes a bank robber to support his newborn son. Bradley Cooper played a supporting role as a rookie police officer who crosses paths with Gosling’s character. Principal photography was done in the summer of 2011. Location filming was done in upstate New York in Schenectady, Niskayuna, and Glenville areas in 2011.
Cianfrance's next written feature is Metalhead, which centers on a metal drummer whose eardrums become ruptured and he becomes deaf. The film will feature the members of the band Jucifer portraying themselves.
Cianfrance is also known for his TV documentary work, which includes portraits of musicians Sean Combs and Run DMC and the Battleground basketball series. He is currently working on a television series called Muscle, for HBO, which he says will be a comedy series with a unique take on "character development."
- Brother Tied (1998)
- Blue Valentine (2010)
- Cagefighter (2011) (Documentary)
- The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)
- Metalhead (2014/15)
- The Light Between Oceans (TBA)
- Towheads (2013)
- "Brother Tied". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Derek Ciafrance". The New York Times. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Scott, A. O. (March 28, 2013). "Good Intentions, Paving the Usual". The New York Times.
- Awards Watch Roundtable, 2010. Hollywood Reporter
- Slash Film
- Galloway, Stephen (September 5, 2012). "'Blue Valentine' Director Reveals How the Movie Changed His Life (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Mothers & Film: An Interview With Shannon Plumb". Skipriporplay. May 11, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2013.