|Born||January 19, 1974|
|Known for||Skepticality, Dragon*Con Skeptrack, podcasting|
Derek Colanduno (born January 19, 1974) is an American skeptic and podcaster. He is the creator and co-host, with Robynn "Swoopy" McCarthy, of the talk show Skepticality, the official biweekly podcast of The Skeptics Society's Skeptic magazine.
Derek has contributed to several other podcasts including The Pickle Round-Up for Podcastpickle.com and AMP'd the weekly music review show for the Association of Independent Music Podcasters. Derek is the Director for the Skeptic fan track at Dragon*Con.
On September 8, 2005, during a dinner celebrating Skepticality being mentioned during a Steve Jobs speech, Derek suffered a stroke. He was in a coma for six weeks and had six months of rehabilitation, which was recounted for the listeners by his cohost. After he recovered, the podcast became the official podcast of the Skeptics Society.
He is the namesake for the asteroid 106545 Colanduno. It was named for him by Jeff Medkeff because he felt Derek had "pioneered the new media of podcasting and put it to service for skeptical thinking."
During a demonstration of the James Randi Educational Foundation One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge on the last night of The Amazing Meeting 8, "claimant" Anita Ikonen was asked to view 5 persons to determine which is missing a kidney. Hal Bidlack in chair #2 was the target but Ikonen failed the demonstration by picking Derek Colanduno in chair #3.
In a September 2012 interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, Colanduno was asked his opinion on marketing to the increasing "godless" market. He states that it was the Internet that brought the movement together, before that, "it was the old guard, the old white-haired men meeting in peoples’ basements."
- Dcolanduno: Yep, it is my Birthday today. :), Twitter, January 19, 2009, retrieved 2009-01-19
- Ho, Rodney (July 19, 2005), With 'podcasting,' anyone's a deejay, The Providence Journal (Providence, Rhode Island), retrieved July 27, 2009
- Skeptic Society: Podcast, retrieved July 27, 2009 (Masthead says: "The official podcast of SKEPTIC magazine")
- Dragon*Con Fan Tracks: Skeptics, Dragon*Con, April 23, 2009, retrieved July 27, 2009
- "My Stroke". Life of Colanduno. September 9 – October 22, 2005. Retrieved August 6, 2009.
- Don't Quit Your Day Job, Podcasters, Business Week, April 9, 2007, retrieved July 27, 2009
- Roach, Pat (April 22, 2009), Better Know a Notable Skeptic: 10 Questions for Derek Colanduno, Ottawa Skeptics, retrieved July 27, 2009
- "#159: Interview with Derek Colanduno & Swoopy". Slice of SciFi. Farpoint Media Network. May 3, 2008. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Case, Beth (July 7, 2007). "Show 44 - Derek Colanduno Part I". Disability411. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Case, Beth (July 26, 2007). "Show 45 - Derek Colanduno Part II". Disability411. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Saunders, Richard (December 26, 2008), #10 Derek and Swoopy - Murder for Entertainment and Profit, The Skeptic Zone (Australian Skeptics), retrieved August 8, 2009 (Interview from 02:42 to 28:15)
- Holden, Kate (March 6, 2009). "A Skeptical Interview with Derek Colanduno". Cuddly Atheism. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- 106545 Colanduno (2000 WL68), JPL Small-Body Database Browser (NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory), retrieved 2009-01-19
- Medkeff, Jeff (March 25, 2008). "Asteroids Named For PZ Myers, Phil Plait, Rebecca Watson, Michael Stackpole". Blue Collar Scientist. Retrieved August 6, 2009.
- "Million Dollar Challenge TAM 8". Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Klein, Karen. "Can the Godless Market Evolve Beyond Bumper Stickers?". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 9/12/2012. Check date values in: