Miami Marlins – No. 32
July 18, 1989 |
|May 8, 2013 for the Miami Marlins|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||40|
Derek Richard Dietrich (born July 18, 1989) is an American professional baseball second baseman for the Miami Marlins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut on May 8, 2013. Prior to playing professionally, Dietrich starred at St. Ignatius High School and played for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.
Dietrich attended St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland, Ohio. One of the top high school players in the country, he took part in the East Coast Professional Baseball Showcase and the AFLAC All-American game while he was a senior.
The Houston Astros selected Dietrich with their first selection, with the 111th overall selection in the third round, of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. Dietrich opted not to sign, instead choosing to attend Georgia Institute of Technology, where he played college baseball for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets baseball team. He was named the Atlantic Coast Conference's co-player of the week from March 23–28, 2010. He also played collegiate summer baseball for the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League.
The Tampa Bay Rays selected Dietrich in the second round, with the 79th overall selection, in the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed with the Rays and made his professional debut with the Hudson Valley Renegades of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League that summer. In 2011, while playing for the Bowling Green Hot Rods in the Class A Midwest League, he set a team record for home runs in a season and was named a Midwest League all-star.
Dietrich played for the Charlotte Stone Crabs of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and Montgomery Biscuits of the Class AA Southern League in 2012. After the 2012 season, the Rays traded Dietrich to the Miami Marlins for Yunel Escobar.
The Marlins assigned Dietrich to the Jacksonville Suns of the Southern League at the start of the 2013 season. Following injuries to Donovan Solano and Chris Valaika, the Marlins promoted Dietrich to the major leagues on May 8, and he made his MLB debut that day. He was optioned back to Jacksonville on July 22.
- "Dietrich's mom has seen a lot of baseball". StarNewsOnline.com. 2006-08-10. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Astros corral high school infielder | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- Rallo, Curt (2012-01-02). "MWL notes: Dietrich on right track | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Georgia Tech's Dietrich Named ACC Co-Player of the Week". Wctv.tv. 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- McMann, Sean T. (June 17, 2010). "Dietrich excited to start minor-league career". The Poughkeepsie Journal. Retrieved 2012-12-05. (subscription required)
- Associated Press. "Derek Dietrich, former St. Ignatius High School star, drafted by Tampa Bay in second round of Major League Baseball draft". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Marlins acquire infielder Derek Dietrich from Tampa Bay for infielder Yunel Escobar | marlins.com: News" (Press release). Miami.marlins.mlb.com. December 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Marlins call up Derek Dietrich to start at second base | HardballTalk". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "Dietrich, drafted by Rays, happy to be with Marlins | marlins.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)