Derek Hopwood OBE is an Emeritus Fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford, and University Reader in Modern Middle Eastern Studies. Hopwood was the founding president Middle East Libraries Committee, a post which he kept until 1990. He is holder of the RISMES Award (2003)for Services to Middle Eastern Studies in Britain.
- Sexual Encounters in the Middle East: The British, the French and the Arabs (1999)
- Habib Bourguiba of Tunisia: The Tragedy of Longevity (1992)
- Egypt, Politics and Society, 1945-1990 (3rd edition 1992)
- Tales of Empire: The British in the Middle East (1989)
- Syria, 1945-1986: Politics and Society (1988)
- British Images of the Arabs (1980)