Norris with the Oakland Athletics
|Oakland Athletics – No. 36|
February 14, 1989 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 21, 2012 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through July 17, 2014)
|Runs batted in||101|
|Career highlights and awards|
Norris graduated from Goddard High School in Goddard, Kansas in 2007. RISE Magazine named Norris its 2006–2007 Kansas Baseball Player of the Year. He committed to attend Wichita State University on a baseball scholarship.
Minor league career
Norris was selected by the Nationals in the fourth round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. Norris spent the 2007 season with the GCL Nationals, Washington's affiliate in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League. He played for the Vermont Lake Monsters of the New York - Penn League in 2008, the Hagerstown Suns of the Class-A South Atlantic League in 2009, the Potomac Nationals of the Class-A Advanced Carolina League in 2010, and the Harrisburg Senators of the Class-AA Eastern League in 2011. Baseball America rated Norris the 38th best prospect in baseball prior to the 2010 season and the 72nd best prospect in baseball prior to the 2011 season. He was also chosen as the Nationals' second best prospect prior to the 2011 season.
Norris made his MLB debut for the A's on June 21, 2012. He was called up to be a backup catcher behind the offensively struggling Kurt Suzuki. He went 0 for 3 but made a key defensive play in the 9th inning throwing out Dodgers Dee Gordon attempting to steal second base. On June 24, 2012, in the bottom of the 9th inning on a full count and the A's trailing 2–1, he hit his first career home run, a walk-off 3-run homer that helped the A's sink the San Francisco Giants, 4–2.
- ""RISE selects Goddard High School standout as Gatorade Kansas Baseball Player of the Year", retrieved 14-Feb-2008". Risemag.com. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "Washington Nationals 2007 draft results, retrieved 14-Feb-2008". Washington.nationals.mlb.com. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- Central PA. "Harrisburg Senators notebook: Nationals doing right by taking conservative route with Bryce Harper | PennLive.com". Blog.pennlive.com. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "Derek Norris Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Snyder, Matt (September 5, 2013). "A's catcher Derek Norris reinstated from disabled list". CBS Sports. Retrieved April 27, 2014.