Derek O'Brien (quizmaster)
13 March 1961 |
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Alma mater||Scottish Church College|
|Occupation||Chief Whip in the Rajya Sabha & National Spokesperson, Trinamool Congress|
|All India Trinamool Congress|
Derek O'Brien (born 13 March 1961) is an Indian television personality and Member of Parliament for All India Trinamool Congress. He hosts one of the longest-running game shows on Indian television, the Bournvita Quiz Contest.
Early life and career
O'Brien was born in Kolkata, India to an Anglo-Indian family on March 13, 1961. He went to St. Xavier's Collegiate School in the city and St. Columba's School in Delhi, India. After two years at Scottish Church College, Kolkata, he began his professional career as a journalist for Sportsworld magazine, but soon shifted to advertising where he worked at Ogilvy for eight years. His father Neil O'Brien is considered a pioneer of quizzing in India.
He hosts one of the longest running knowledge game show on Indian television, the Bournvita Quiz Contest. He won the award for Best Anchor of a Game/Quiz Show at the Hero Honda Indian Television Academy Awards in 2003. He conducts inter-school quiz contests not only India, but also in United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal.
In addition to his television work, O'Brien has also over 50 reference and quiz books for Rupa, Pearson and Penguin India. 
Since 1991, his firm, Derek O'Brien & Associates has been researching and hosting The Brand Equity Quiz, the country's longest running corporate quiz show.
In 2004, he joined the All India Trinamool Congress, a party in West Bengal, India. He is currently the vice-president of All India Trinamool Congress  In 2009 he was made the head of the Passenger Services Committee of the Indian Railways, under Railway and Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee.
In 2012, O'Brien cast a vote in the presidential election to elect the 13th President of India. His vote is believed to be the first presidential vote cast by an elected member of the Anglo-Indian community—as members of the community have previously been nominated to the Lok Sabha and other assemblies and are not eligible to vote.
Derek O'Brien has two younger brothers: Andy, who lives in Perth and Barry, who lives in Kolkata. He is married to Dr. Tonuca Basu, MD, who lives in Brooklyn, New York. He has one daughter, Aanya. Derek is the CEO of Derek O'Brien & Associates, based in Kolkata.
- Dad's hobby is my profession: Derek O'Brien, The Times of India, 26 October 2002.
- Chowdhury, Souvik: Pepping up quiz, Metro Plus Hyderabad, September 24, 2003.
- Boy oh boy! It's an O'Brien!
- Dad's hobby is my profession: Derek O’ Brien
- Radhakrishnan, Sankar: What makes Bournvita quiz tick again?, The Hindu BusinessLine, May 9, 2002.
- The Hero Honda Indian Television Academy Awards, 2003, Indian Television Academy, 2003.
- Author Lounge - Derek O'Brien, Penguin Books India.
- Derek O'Brien to quiz Pak children, NDTV, April 12, 2008.
- Derek O’Brien: From quizmaster to politician, ExpressIndia.com, June 3, 2005.
- Trinamool Congress: Hotmail founder Sabeer Bhatia to give Mamata Banerjee campaign tech edge, Economic Times, March 14, 2011.
- Derek O'Brien gets a new role in Railways
- Yechury, Ahmed Patel take oath in Rajya Sabha
- President poll: Derek O' Brien first Anglo-Indian to vote, IBN Live, 19 July 2012.