Derek Smith (ice hockey, born 1984)
October 13, 1984 |
Belleville, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
Derek A. Smith (born October 13, 1984) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. Smith is a member of the ZSC Lions of the National League A (NLA). Smith previously was a member of the Ottawa Senators organization.
After playing 123 games over four seasons between 2000 and 2004 for the Wellington Dukes of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League, Smith went on to play three more seasons for the Lake Superior State Lakers. Undrafted, he signed as a free agent with the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL) on April 12, 2007, and decided to leave college a year early to pursue his dreams of playing in the NHL. After training camp, Smith was assigned to the Senators' top minor league affiliate, the Binghamton Senators. Smith was re-signed by the Senators to a one-year contract on July 29, 2009.
On February 12, 2010, after the trade of Alex Picard and an injury to Chris Campoli, Smith was called up to the Ottawa Senators. He made his NHL debut against the Detroit Red Wings on February 13, 2010, a 4–1 loss. He stayed on for the next game on February 14 against the New York Islanders. That was the final game before the Olympic break, which Ottawa won 4–3 after coming back from a 3–1 deficit. He was returned to Binghamton afterwards.
On July 13, 2010, Smith was re-signed by Ottawa to a one-year, two-way contract. He recorded his first NHL point when he assisted on a goal by Ottawa's Nick Foligno against the Atlanta Thrashers on March 3, 2011. In 2010-11, Smith was a member of the Binghamton Senators as they captured the 2011 Calder Cup championship in the American Hockey League. In 71 regular season games that season with Binghamton, he recorded 10 goals and 44 assists for 54 points which placed him 4th among all defenceman in the AHL.
Smith was signed by the Calgary Flames to a one-year, two-way contract worth $700,000 on July 12, 2011. Smith's first NHL goal was scored as a member of the Flames on November 29, 2011, against Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators.
|2004–05||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||38||1||4||5||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||36||2||8||10||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||43||10||20||30||10||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-CCHA Second Team||2006-07|
- http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=606500 Persistence pays off for Smith
- "Senators sign free agent defenceman Derek Smith". Ottawa Senators. 2007-04-12. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- "Senators sign Derek Smith and Jeremy Yablonski". National Hockey League. 2009-07-29. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- "Bulletin: Senators sign defenceman Derek Smith to one-year contract" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. July 13, 2010. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371670 FLAMES SIGN D DEREK SMITH TO ONE-YEAR, TWO-WAY CONTRACT
- Twitter / AAVickers: #Flames have assigned defenseman Derek Smith to the Abbotsford Heat. He cleared waivers earlier today.