Des Moines Area Community College
|Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC)|
|Established||March 18, 1966|
|President||Rob Denson, 2003 - present|
|Vice-president||Kim Linduska, Greg Martin|
|Location||several locations, Iowa, USA|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2014)|
Des Moines Area Community College is a public institution and Iowa's largest two-year college. DMACC offers 153 programs, certificates and transfer degrees, annually serving more than 75,000 credit and non-credit students at campuses and learning centers throughout Central Iowa. DMACC serves a 6,560 square mile area in 22 counties and has a student to faculty ratio of 18:2.
Des Moines Area Community College was created March 18, 1966. The first classes were held on the Ankeny Campus in 1968. DMACC has experienced tremendous growth. In the Fall of 2000, 10,803 students were enrolled at DMACC. By the fall of 2011, that number grew to 25,425. 
- 2011 "Top Workplace" by The Des Moines Register
- 2008 Greater Des Moines Partnership Diversity Award 
- named "Military-Friendly College" by G.I. Jobs magazine 
- Dennis Albaugh, Iowa's first billionaire, founder of Albaugh Inc.
- Bonnie Campbell, Iowa's first female Attorney General, former Iowa gubernatorial candidate, former official in the U.S. Department of Justice 
- Judy Bradshaw, Des Moines' first female Chief of Police 
The DMACC Honors Program launched in the fall of 2012. It is the first 20-credit honors program at an Iowa community college. The program is designed for degree-seeking students to expand their boundaries and better prepare them to enter the workforce or continue to an honors program at a four-year college or university.
DMACC athletics are located on the Boone Campus. The DMACC Bears compete in the Iowa Community College Athletic Conference and the National Junior College Athletic Association. The Bears participate in baseball, men's and women's basketball, women's cross country, men's and women's golf, softball, volleyball, and dance team.
Each campus offers ways for students to get involved in activities outside of the classroom. Several campuses have their own newspapers including the award-winning Ankeny Chronicle, The Boone Banner and The Urban Vibe. The Student Advisory Council, International Club, and intramural sports are just a few of the clubs and activities offered at DMACC.
Accreditation and Board
DMACC is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The College is also approved by the Iowa State Department of Education. The College is governed by a nine member Board of Directors, each representing one the of the nine districts the College serves.
Transfer Agreements and Articulations
DMACC has transfer agreements and articulations with several colleges and universities:
- Buena Vista University
- Drake University
- Grand View University
- Grinnell College
- University of Iowa
- Iowa State University
- University of Northern Iowa
- Simpson College
DMACC has been the site for visits and announcements by officials from Washington D.C. In February of 2015, Vice President Joe Biden visited the DMACC Ankeny campus, advocating for free community college tuition. In October 2012, the Chairman of the Obama Administration's Council of Economic Advisors spoke at DMACC about the "State of the U.S. Economy. " In the same month, Deputy Labor Secretary, Seth Harris announced a $13 million grant to the Iowa-Advanced Manufacturing Consortium of all 15 Community Colleges in Iowa. U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, visited the DMACC Ankeny campus in April 2012 touting President Obama's plan to help needy students earn a degree.
- [dead link]
- "Greater Des Moines Partnership | Workforce Diversity Award". Desmoinesmetro.com. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "GI Jobs 2013 Military Friendly Schools - Des Moines Area Community College". Militaryfriendlyschools.com. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "#799 Dennis Albaugh". Forbes.com. 2007-02-09. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "1997 OJP Press Releases". Ojp.usdoj.gov. 1997-11-13. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Police - About Us". Dmgov.org. 2011-08-28. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association". Ncahlc.org. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Iowa community colleges earn accreditation for concurrent enrollment programs - Iowa Department of Education". Educateiowa.gov. 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "National Issues Highlighted at DMACC". Go.dmacc.edu. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "Department of Labor Photo Gallery: Deputy Labor Secretary Seth Harris visits Des Moines Area Community College (October 2, 2012)". Dol.gov. 2012-10-02. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "US Secretary of Education Applauds DMACC". Go.dmacc.edu. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2012-12-26.