Deseret Management Corporation
|Industry||Asset management company|
|Founder||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
|Keith B. McMullin (CEO/President)|
|Divisions||Deseret Digital Media
Deseret Media Companies
KSL Broadcast Division
|Subsidiaries||Beneficial Financial Group
Bonneville International Corp.
Temple Square Hospitality
|Website||Deseret Management Corporation|
The Deseret Management Corporation (DMC) (i//) is a management and holding company of for-profit businesses owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It was established in 1966 by church president David O. McKay to hold already-existing church assets.
The following are DMC subsidiaries:
- Beneficial Financial Group: insurance, investment, and retirement services.
- Bonneville International Corporation: owns radio stations nationwide, Bonneville Communications, Bonneville Interactive, and Bonneville Satellite Company.
- Deseret Book: LDS publisher and bookstores chain.
- Deseret Mutual: Provides medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, retirement and savings benefits to Deseret Management Corporation employees, and health insurance to LDS Missionaries and General Authorities.
- Deseret News Publishing Company: Publishes Utah's second-largest daily newspaper, the Deseret News, along with Mormon Times, Church News and El Observador.
- Hawaii Reserves: manages commercial and residential properties in Lā'ie, Hawai'i.
- Temple Square Hospitality: operates downtown Salt Lake City properties such as the Lion House and the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
- Zions Securities: Real estate company which manages apartments and commercial property, particularly in downtown Salt Lake City.
- Deseret Digital Media: Operates the Web sites of other DMC media companies, including deseretnews.com, ksl.com and deseretbook.com.
- Deseret Media Companies: Helps operate Deseret Management's media focused subsidiaries.
- KSL Broadcast Division: Operates KSL-TV & KSL Newsradio in Salt Lake City, Utah, for the Bonneville International Corporation.
Relation to LDS Church
Deseret Management Corporation is the holding company which owns the tax-paying companies that fall under the umbrella of the LDS Church. DMC's Board of Directors is made up of the church's First Presidency, three rotating members of the Quorum of the Twelve, and the Presiding Bishopric.
- LDS.org: "Book of Mormon Pronunciation Guide" (retrieved 2012-02-25), IPA-ified from «dĕz-a-rĕt´»
- "About Us". Deseret Management Corporation official web site. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "Presidents of the Church". The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints official website. Retrieved 2009-10-25.
- "Deseret Management hires former LA Times publisher". Salt Lake Tribune. 2009-02-04. Retrieved 2009-02-11.[dead link]
- Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrator. "Deseret Mutual Participating Employers". Deseret Mutual website. Retrieved 5 January 2011.