Design and Architecture High School
|Design and Architecture Senior High (DASH)|
|Principal||Dr. Stacey Mancuso|
|Location||Design District, Miami, Florida, USA|
|District||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Colors||Black and White|
|Hours||7:40AM – 3:35PM|
Design and Architecture Senior High School (DASH) is a magnet secondary school in the heart of the Design District in Miami, Florida, United States. US News & World Report ranked DASH as the 15th best public high school in the nation in 2009 and 16th best in 2012.
DASH is a part of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools district. The current principal is Dr. Stacey Mancuso.
DASH was founded in 1990 by former principal Jacqueline Hinchey-Sipes, who coined the famous school motto "Education by Design". Over the past 15 years DASH has earned a reputation as one of Florida's strongest public high schools, with the school often making Miami-Dade county's highest marks on the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) exam and consistently receiving an assessment grade of A by the state. DASH has been featured in Dwell magazine, Teen People Magazine (Cool School of the Month, May 2000), and the Miami Herald. Newsweek Magazine recently ranked DASH as the 5th best public high school in the US for 2010. Over 95% of DASH graduates continue on to college, with most students receiving scholarships from many of the nation's top art and design programs. The school was named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, in 1994, 1995, and 2005.
The school features programs in Architecture/Interior Design, Entertainment Technology, Fashion Design, Industrial Design, and Visual Communications/Web Design. The curriculum includes a strong, four-year foundation in the fine arts, internships with local design firms, and dual-enrollment college-level design courses, such as performance art, taught by professors from local colleges as well as field professionals. Students take 8 courses a year (4 core classes, 2-3 art classes, and 1-2 electives) as opposed to the regular 6-course curriculum in most other Florida high schools.
DASH is 54% Hispanic (of any race), 28% White non-Hispanic, 14% Black, and 4% Asian.
Every year, DASH holds a student-run fashion show in which the junior and senior fashion students show their collections to the community. In 2004, the school was invited to include its show as part of Miami's Fashion Week of the Americas, the US's largest Latin American fashion event.
- Khrystian Arias- Owner of Online Designer Boutique Klosetfreak.com, Local Miami Stylist.
- Fabiola Arias- Fashion Designer, Painter, Sculptor
- Lauren Arkin- Fashion Designer and owner of L.A.Boudoir Miami vintage boutique
- Daniel Arsham - Artist
- Christopher Benjamin - Vice President of Automotive Design for Chrysler
- Deon Butler [Kaeno] - Music Producer, Global Dj, Sirius & XM Radio (The Vanishing Point)
- Guido Campello - VP of Sales, Branding & Innovation at Cosabella
- Esteban Cortazar - Head Designer for Emanuel Ungaro
- Denzel Curry - Rapper
- Kendrick Daye - Editor in Chief/Co-Creator of Art Nouveau Magazine
- Christian de Gale - Senior Project Manager at Plaza Construction
- Kevin A. Garcia - President/Co-Founder of Opt 2 Web Inc. Website design and development company in South Florida.
- Franzella Guido - AIA, NCARB - Principal/Owner of Stijlnuova Architecture + Interiors + Design Build: Featured as Designer on "My First Place" on HGTV and "In A Fix" on The Learning Channel
- Orestes Hernandez - Senior Account Executive for World Champion Miami Marlins
- Gabriel E. Ibertis - President/Owner of Hapaii Corp. DBA, Ibertis Design Group
- Angelica Jitta - professional model, appeared in videos by Nelly, Ray-J, David Banner, Pharrell, 50 Cent and more.
- William A. Lai, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP - President + CEO of DYNAMICA Architecture + Interior Design
- Jayme Lam - Principal/Owner of Fourth Reaction Multi-Media + Interactive Web Design
- Duane Lawrence - Designed Converse sneakers for Dwyane Wade
- Walter Lugo - President of Ocean Civil Engineering
- Carlos F. Peña, - President/Creative Director of Pumped, Inc. Brand Development & Advertising firm. Also founded non-profit division Pumped for Change and The Million Penny Project.
- Carisa Perez-Fuentes - Top Design runner-up