|Industry||Educational Software: eLearning|
|Headquarters||Kitchener, ON, Canada|
|CEO: John Baker,
CTO: Jeremy Auger,
COO: Dennis Kavelman,
CFO: Brandon Nussey
|Products||See Products and Services|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Transforming Teaching and Learning|
D2L Corporation (previously known as Desire2Learn) and commonly referred to as “D2L”, is a provider of eLearning solutions. It is the developer of the Brightspace integrated learning platform which is used by higher education institutions, K-12 school districts and corporate and government customers. Competitors include BlackBoard Inc., Instructure, Inc. and Moodle Pty Ltd.
D2L Corporation was founded in 1999 by current president and CEO John Baker. The company is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and has 800+ staff in the US, Canada, the UK, Brazil, Singapore and Australia. The D2L family of companies also includes D2L Ltd, D2L Australia Pty Ltd, D2L Europe Ltd, D2L Asia Pte Ltd, and D2L Brasil Soluções de Tecnologia para Educação Ltda.
In 2014, D2L raised an $85 million series B financing round led by a large institutional asset manager with participation from Columbus Nova Technology Partners, Graham Holdings, Four Rivers Group, Aurion Capital and existing investors New Enterprise Associates and OMERS Ventures. Silicon Valley Bank also provided debt financing.   
Brightspace is the brand used to describe D2L’s integrated learning platform. The Brightspace platform’s core learning products include D2L Learning Environment, D2L ePortfolio and D2L Learning Repository. The platform also offers analytics products such as D2L Insights™, D2L Degree Compass™ and D2L LeaP™.
Brightspace Education Solutions D2L offers Brightspace solutions for the higher education and K-12 education markets. These solutions include online and blended learning, curriculum management, content management and analytics.
Brightspace Corporate Solutions Brightspace is also offered to corporate and government customers, with field and channel enablement and employee learning and development solutions.
The D2L Partner Network includes organizations with a focus on education markets, including content publishers, independent software vendors and service providers. D2L has partnerships with Ceridian, IBM, McGraw Hill Education, and SoftChalk.
History of patent battle
On July 26, 2006, Blackboard, a rival company, issued a press release regarding its recently granted US patent 6,988,138 on "Internet-based education support system and methods" (U.S. Patent 6,988,138). Blackboard also filed a lawsuit against Desire2Learn. Desire2Learn appealed the case to the Federal Circuit where the Federal Circuit ruled in favour of Desire2Learn across the board—it affirmed the lower court's ruling that the first 35 claims were invalid, and it overturned the judgment resulting from the jury verdict against Desire2Learn. On December 15, 2009, both companies issued a joint press release indicating that legal proceedings had ended with both companies agreeing to license each other's software.  In the month of November 2010, Blackboard confirmed in an email that "Blackboard chose to abandon the '138 patent in April and not pursue additional appeals," after the patent's official termination by the USPTO. For more information about Blackboard and U.S. Patent 6,988,138, see Legal matters section of the Blackboard Inc. article.
- "Desire2Learn Expansion Creating Good Jobs In Waterloo Region". Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "EPC Spotlight-Desire2Learn". Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/desire2learn-finally-accepts-venture-investment/article4516924/. Missing or empty
- https://gigaom.com/2012/09/04/as-ed-tech-heats-up-desire2learn-raises-80m-in-its-first-vc-round/. Missing or empty
- http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/08/flush-with-80m-desire2learn-buys-anti-sharepoint-for-students-platform-wiggio-its-2nd-acquisition-in-2-months/. Missing or empty
- https://www.edsurge.com/n/2013-03-08-desire2learn-acquires-wiggio. Missing or empty
- http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/09/desire2learn-acquires-knowillage-to-bring-personalized-learning-to-classrooms/. Missing or empty
- http://www.techvibes.com/blog/desire2learn-acquires-knowillage-systems-2013-09-09. Missing or empty
- https://www.edsurge.com/n/2014-07-14-the-sum-of-desire2learn-s-acquisitions-brightspace. Missing or empty
- http://www.betakit.com/desire2learn-launches-new-integrated-learning-platform-called-brightspace/. Missing or empty
- http://thejournal.com/articles/2014/07/14/d2l-intros-revamped-platform-brightspace-with-adaptive-learning.aspx. Missing or empty
- http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/08/14/desire2learn-raises-85m-to-deliver-personalized-education/. Missing or empty
- http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/14/canada-tech-desire2learn-idUSL2N0QI2AU20140814. Missing or empty
- http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-14/desire2learn-scores-85-million-in-second-funding-round.html. Missing or empty
- "Blackboard, Desire2Learn Announce Patent Cross License Agreement and Settlement of Litigation". Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Blackboard Settles Longstanding Patent Fight With Rival Desire2Learn". Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "Blackboard Drops Appeals on Software Patent". Retrieved 2010-12-14.