|Desmond Kuek Bak Chye|
Kuek (right) with US Navy admiral Michael Mullen at a presentation ceremony on 29 May 2008
|Service/branch||Singapore Armed Forces|
|Years of service||1981–2010|
|Other work||see below|
|Desmond Kuek Bak Chye|
Desmond Kuek Bak Chye is a Singaporean business executive and former army general. He was the sixth Chief of Defence Force of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF), holding the rank of Lieutenant-General. He is the President and Chief Executive Officer of SMRT Corporation.
Kuek received his secondary and pre-university education in Anglo-Chinese School and Anglo-Chinese Junior College respectively. He was awarded an overseas scholarship by the Singapore Armed Forces in 1982. He holds a Bachelor of Arts (honours) and a Master of Arts in engineering science from the University of Oxford, as well as a Master of Public Administration in macroeconomics and statistics from Harvard University. Kuek also attended the Command and Staff Course at Camberley Staff College in the U.K. in 1991.
Kuek enlisted in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in 1981. Throughout his career in the SAF, he held various appointments, including the following: Commanding Officer, 41st Battalion Singapore Armoured Regiment; Head of Defence Studies Department, Ministry of Defence; Commander, 4th Singapore Armoured Brigade; Assistant Chief of the General Staff (Operations); Commander, 3rd Division; Director, Joint Intelligence Directorate; Chief of Staff, General Staff; Chief of Army (2003–2007). On 23 March 2007, he succeeded Ng Yat Chung as the Chief of Defence Force.
After leaving the military, Kuek served as the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources from 1 July 2010 to 30 September 2012. During his tenure, he co-chaired the Environment and Water Technologies (Clean Water) Executive Committee and the Steering Committee on CleanTech Park. He was also a member of the Centre for Strategic Futures Advisory Board and the Advisory Group for Civil Service Governance & Leadership (Human Resource). He sits on the Civil Service College Board and chairs its audit committee. He also held directorships on the boards of the following companies: Housing and Development Board, from 2001 to 2003; International Enterprise Singapore, in 2005; JTC Corporation, from 2007 to 2010; Defence Science and Technology Agency, from 2007 to 2010; ST Engineering and its various subsidiaries, from 1994 to 2010.
Kuek is married to Claudel Kuek, the founder of PowerMoves Pilates in the Park. They have two children.
- Public Administration Medal (Military) (Gold), in 2002.
- Meritorious Service Medal (Military), in 2009.
- Commander, Legion of Honour
- "Desmond Kuek". Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "New SMRT general will be hiring more army officers for key posts". The Real Singapore. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Change of Chief of Defence Force and Service Chiefs". MINDEF. 6 February 2003. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Change of Chief of Defence Force and Chief of Army". MINDEF. 6 February 2007. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "New Chief for the SAF". MINDEF. 23 March 2007. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Change in Chief of Defence Force and Chief of Army". MINDEF. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Press Release - New Permanent Secretaries for Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources and the National Climate Change Secretariat". Public Service Division, Prime Minister's Office. 1 June 2010. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Press Release - CHANGES IN PERMANENT SECRETARY APPOINTMENTS". Public Service Division, Prime Minister's Office. 1 June 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Board of Directors". ST Engineering. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "SMRT's New CEO – Desmond Kuek Bak Chye". SMRT. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Interview with Claudel Kuek, MD of PowerMoves Pilates in the Park". The New Age Parents. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "MINDEF, SAF Personnel Receive National Day Awards". MINDEF. 11 November 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Desmond Kuek.|
Lieutenant-General Ng Yat Chung
|6th Chief of Defence Force
23 Mar 2007 - 31 Mar 2010
Major-General Neo Kian Hong
Major-General Ng Yat Chung
|Chief of the Singapore Army
1 April 2003 – 20 March 2007
Brigadier-General Neo Kian Hong