|Directed by||Tony Kaye|
|Produced by||Greg Shapiro
|Written by||Carl Lund|
Marcia Gay Harden
Tim Blake Nelson
|Music by||The Newton Brothers|
|Editing by||Barry Alexander Brown
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film|
|Running time||100 minutes|
Detachment is a chronicle of one month in the lives of several high school teachers, administrators and students through the eyes of a substitute teacher named Henry Barthes (Adrien Brody). Barthes' method of imparting vital knowledge to his temporary students is interrupted by the arrival of three women in his life - the damaged and naive prostitute Erica (Sami Gayle), a fellow teacher (Christina Hendricks) and a troubled teen named Meredith (Betty Kaye). These women all have profound effects on Barthes' life, forcing him to both re-discover aspects of his own personality, and to come to terms with both the tragic suicide of his mother and the impending death of his grandfather. The film is punctuated with flashbacks of scenes of Barthes' young childhood and his mother's suicide. Sub-plots include the struggles of Dr Parker (Lucy Liu) within her role as the school counselor, and the painful torment of Principal Dearden (Marcia Gay Harden) who faces her dismissal as head of this deeply flawed school.
- Adrien Brody as Henry Barthes
- Marcia Gay Harden as Principal Carol Dearden
- Christina Hendricks as Ms. Sarah Madison
- William Petersen as Mr. Sarge Kepler
- Bryan Cranston as Mr. Dearden
- Tim Blake Nelson as Mr. Wiatt
- Betty Kaye as Meredith
- Sami Gayle as Erica
- Lucy Liu as Dr. Doris Parker
- Blythe Danner as Ms. Perkins
- James Caan as Mr. Charles Seaboldt
- Louis Zorich as Grampa
- Isiah Whitlock, Jr. as Mr. Mathias
- Brennan Brown as Greg Raymond
- Renée Felice Smith as Missy
Detachment premiered on April 25, 2011, at the Tribeca Film Festival. Pretty Pictures acquired rights to distribute the film in France. In September 2011, Tribeca Film acquired U.S. distribution rights with Celluloid Dreams repping worldwide sales rights. Territories sold include Benelux (Wild Bunch), Italy (UBU), Middle East (Shooting Stars), Russia (CP Digital), Latin America (California), India (Pictureworks), Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam (PT Parkit) and Taiwan (Cineplex).
On September 9, 2011, Detachment screened in competition at the 37th Deauville American Film Festival in France. It won both the Revelations Prize and the International Critics' Award. On September 18, Detachment was announced as the Closing Night Film at the Woodstock Film Festival, where Kaye was the recipient of the Honorary Maverick Award.
On October 12, 2011, Detachment screened in competition at the Valenciennes International Festival of Action and Adventure Films in Japan, where it won the Grand Prize and the Audience Award. Later, on October 26, the film screened in competition at the 24th Tokyo International Film Festival. It received the award for Best Artistic Contribution, sharing honors with the film Kora.
Detachment also screened in competition at the 35th São Paulo International Film Festival and won the Audience Award for Best Foreign Language Film, sharing honors with Chicken with Plums. On November 16, Detachment screened at the 53rd Muestra Internacional de Cine in Mexico.
In January 2012, Detachment won Best Picture at the Ramdam Film Festival in Tournai, Belgium.
Peter Travers from Rolling Stone awarded the film three out of four stars, praising the performances of Adrien Brody, Marcia Gay Harden and Lucy Liu. "Detachment gets to you. It hits hard.", he wrote.
Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a 57% rotten rating.
- Gordon, Cox (April 4, 2011). " 'Detachment', Rocker Doc Join Tribeca" Variety.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (April 29, 2011) "Pretty Pictures takes French Rights to Detachment" Screen International.
- Fernandez, Jay (September 8, 2011) "Tribeca Films Picks Up Tony Kaye's Detachment for U.S." The Hollywood Reporter.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 4, 2011) "Buyers attached to Celluloid Dreams' Detachment" Screen International.
- Keslassy, Elsa (August 17, 2011) "Deauville Sets Competition" Variety.
- Leffler, Rebecca (September 10, 2011) "Take Shelter Wins Grand Prize" The Hollywood Reporter.
- Cox, Gordon (September 20, 2011) "Detachment Closes Woodstock" Variety.
- (October 16, 2011) "Detachment Double Crown in Valenciennes" La Voix Du Nord.
- Schilling, Mark (September 21, 2011) " 'Detachment' joins Tokyo fest lineup" Variety.
- Schilling, Mark (October 30, 2011) "Untouchables Wins Tokyo Grand Prix" Variety.
- (November 3, 2011) "35 Mostra Internacional de Cinema" 35.mostra.org.
- Gijon, Bernardo (November 3, 2011) "53 International Film Festival" El Punto Critico.