Detention (TV series)
|Created by||Bob Doucette|
|Developed by||Julie McNally-Cahill
|Voices of||Tara Strong
Dee Bradley Baker
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
James L. Venable
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jean MacCurdy|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original channel||Kids' WB|
|Audio format||Dolby Surround|
|Original release||September 11, 1999 – March 25, 2000|
Detention is an American television series that premiered on Kids' WB on September 11, 1999 and was created by Bob Doucette. The TV series is about a group of rebellious preteens from Benedict Arnold Middle School who continually find themselves in detention.
The kids are constantly trying to stay out of detention and out of trouble.
- Tara Strong as Shareena Wickett
- Billy West as Emmitt Roswell
- Pamelyn Ferdin as Shelley Kelley
- Roseanne Barr as Annabelle Peterson
- Cuba Gooding, Jr. as James Peterson
- John Kassir as Jim Kim
- Tia Mowry as Lemonjella LaBelle
- Tamera Mowry as Orangejella LaBelle
- Carlos Alazraqui as Gug
- Billy West as Mr. Wickett
- Mary Gross as Patsy Wickett
- Kathleen Freeman as Eugenia P. Kisskillya
- Bob Doucette as Mr. Fletcher/Miss Treacle/Duncan Bubble (Electronic voice)
- Shareena Wickett (voiced by Tara Charendoff) - A twelve-year-old Goth girl that prefers to be a free spirit and finds pleasure in the sublime. Shareena's beliefs are not taken seriously by her parents. Her hobbies include reading horror stories and performing séances and she is the singer during dance class.She is the main protagonist of the series.
- Eugenia P. Kisskillya (voiced by Kathleen Freeman) - The Physical education teacher and detention monitor of Benedict Arnold Middle School, Miss Kisskillya serves as the antagonist to the children. Having been a military sergeant in the Marine Corps, Miss Kisskillya bosses the children around like such and usually pronounces "detention" as "dee-tennnn-shun!!" The only student she likes is Shelley Kelly, who serves as her "Teacher's Pet" and whom she refers to as "Private Kelly". Despite usually being oftentimes tyrannical towards the children, she has been shown to be a nice person.
- Annabelle Peterson (voiced by Roseanne Barr) - A exquisite genius who's an expert in all chemical related science she gets along quite well with her brother James and the other kids and her plans offen lead her into solving mysteries and she stages all of the gangs dance routines as she puts it dancing is the way to go to get what you want she dreams of her and her friends becoming the next Benedict Arnold Middle School dance captains even though she falls over every once in a while
- James Peterson (voiced by Cuba Gooding, Jr.) - Annabelle's clever brother who always looks out for his little sister and her friends during their dance classes and he provides the music for all of the gangs dance routines as he agrees with Anna dancing is the way to go to get what you want and wants to help Anna fulfill her dreams of her and her friends becoming the next Benedict Arnold Middle School dance captains even though hes their to pick up his sister every time she falls over during dance classes he gets along quite well with his sister Anna and the other kids
- Emmitt Roswell (voiced by Billy West) - A conspiracy theorist who believes that intelligent life exists in outer space and is determined to make contact with aliens. As revealed in Boyz 'n The Parenthood, Emmitt has an estranged father.
- Jim Kim (voiced by John Kassir) - A shy Korean-American kid with a love for comic book superheroes. He takes on the characters' attributes at inopportune times, such as trying to escape detention disguised as Batman, only to be caught by the real Batman, prompting him to remark "I like Superman better anyway!".
- Ramone "Gug" Gugleamo (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui) - A short Hispanic kid with a short temper. Constantly left out of competitive sports, Gug constantly picks fights with kids twice his own size and has even wanted to take down Miss Kisskillya. He and Emmitt have their occasional rivalries, however, they both agree on their lack of patience with Jim.
- Duncan Bubble - A quiet boy who is always playing with a yo-yo and never speaks. He instead uses his yo-yo to spell out messages (for example, "Thanx Guys", "Boring", and "Yeah"), accompanied by an electronic voice (done by Tom Kenny) reading the message.
- Lemonjella and Orangejella LaBelle (voiced by Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry) - A pair of black identical twins. They have been known to get themselves in trouble by hacking into the school computers and deleting library fines. Their scientific descriptions sometimes confuse Miss Kisskillya. They have shown to be competitive with each other.
- Shelley Kelly (voiced by Pamelyn Ferdin) - An optimistic and peppy girl who wears a Ladybug Scout uniform every day. She constantly kisses up to Miss Kisskillya and has a crush on Emmitt. As a result, she is often detested by the other kids, whom she wishes to be friends with. However, on some occasions Shelley is often an ally to the kids.
In the fall of 1999, the show aired on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. EST. In the spring of 2000, the show moved to 11:30 a.m. EST on Saturdays. Reruns of the TV series aired on the Kids' WB Friday afternoon lineup from September 8, 2000 until August 31, 2001.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Shareena Takes The Cake"||September 11, 1999|
|Shareena misses her chance to get tickets to a rock concert because Miss Kisskillya gives her detention. So she decides to team up with Shelley in the Home Economics Bake-Off to get even with her by creating a volcano cake. Meanwhile, Emmitt, Gug, Jim, and Duncan try to get Duncan's yo-yo back from Miss Kisskillya.|
|2||"The Man With The Golden Brain"||September 18, 1999|
|The gang represents the school in a spelling bee. But when Lemonjella and Orangejella start to get competitive with each other, the gang has to intervene.|
|3||"lets get down and party hard"||September 25, 1999|
|The gang are helped by Annabelle to get ready for their own charity roller disco bash tonight with the hottest pop star in town Christopher wilder but Miss Kisskillya tries to sabotage the dance preparations with a stink bomb can James stop the stink bomb.|
|4||"The Contest"||October 9, 1999|
|The gang has a contest to see who can stay out of detention, except for Shelly, who tries to get in detention instead.|
|5||"Too Good To Be Truant"||October 23, 1999|
|Shareena and Shelley decide to skip school and Miss Kisskillya tries to find them. Meanwhile, Emmitt and Gug try to compete for class president, throwing Jim in between.|
|6||"Breaking Out"||November 6, 1999|
|Shareena hears that the star of the hit WT show "Lawson's Lake" is going to be at the library, so they break out of school to see him, even going far enough to use a bulldozer.|
|7||"Comedy of Terrors"||November 13, 1999|
|Shareena auditions for a part in a school play, but it is Gug who lands the role, sparking jealousy in Shareena.|
|8||"Little Miss Popular"||November 20, 1999|
|Shareena prepares for a television quiz show and starts to hang out with popular girls, much to the dismay of the others.|
|9||"Capitol Punishment"||December 4, 1999|
|All of the kids, except for Shelley, go to Washington, D.C. with Miss Kisskillya. Meanwhile, the kids begin to wreak havoc in the hotel with antics such as Jim going on the loose stealing ice and Shelley goes to great lengths to get to Washington.|
|10||"Shareena and The holograms"||January 8, 2000|
|Shareena joins hit group the holograms and becomes their new lead singer as well as earning an alter ego as she is nicknamed jem but in detention she is so relaxed it starts worrying Miss Kisskillya so she and Shelley go to great lengths to help but keep getting caught buy the bands keyboard player avatar korra so Emmitt, Gug, Jim, Duncan, Miss Kisskillya,and Shelley discover that the spotlight can be cool.|
|11||"Boyz 'N The Parenthood"||February 5, 2000|
|The gang gets paired with each other to take care of water balloons as an assignment for parenting. But while Shareena is stuck with the "baby", Emmitt tries to wait for his father.|
|12||"the curse of thirteen wishes"||March 4, 2000|
|Miss Kisskillya learns the true meaning of the words "careful what you wish for" when she is cursed by Shareena disguised as a wicked genie named Madame Gigi who curses the whole school teachers with horrible bad luck thinking Shareena is under a spell she teams up with Emmitt, Gug, Jim, and Duncan,and Shelley to reverse the curse of Madame Gigi and save Shareena from her wishes gone wild|
|13||"Rule The School"||March 25, 2000|
|When Emmitt and Jim become tied as Principals for the Day, they begin to take things too far, even causing the LaBelle twins to get detention. Tired of Jim and Emmitt's antics, Gug teams up with Miss Kisskillya to strip them of their newfound power.|
- "Detention Cast and Details". TV Guide.
- Detention at the Internet Movie Database
- Detention at TV.com
- Detention episode guide @ Big Cartoon DataBase