Detroit City Council
|Detroit City Council|
|Founded||1824 (as the Common Council)|
|President Pro-Tempore||George Cushingberry|
|Council committees||Public Health and Safety
Budget, Finance, and Audit
Planning and Economic Development
Neighborhood and Community Services
|Council last election||November 5, 2013|
|13th floor, Coleman A. Young Municipal Building|
The Detroit City Council is the legislative body of Detroit, Michigan, United States. City residents elect seven members from geographical districts with two additional members elected at-large on a non-partisan basis.
The City Council was first constituted as the legislative body of the city in 1824, and was called the Common Council until July 1, 1974. Prior to 1918, the council was elected from city wards. However, starting in 1918, all city council members were elected at large, unusual for a city of Detroit's size. On November 4, 2009, city voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum to once again elect most of the council by districts beginning in 2013, while allowing for two at-large seats.
Vacancies and special elections
If a vacancy occurs 30 days or more before the filing date for a city-wide general election or previously scheduled city-wide special election, the vacancy will be filled in that election for the remainder of the term. If the vacancy occurs less than 30 days before an election filing date, then a subsequent special election will be called by the City Council for the purpose of filling the vacancy for the remainder of the term. No special election will be held for a vacancy occurring after March 1 in the year of a city-wide general election.
- Brenda J. Jones - Council President, At-Large
- George Cushingberry - Council President Pro-Tempore, District 2
- Saunteel Jenkins - At-Large, Council President July 9, 2013 - December 31, 2013
- James Tate - District 1
- Scott Benson - District 3
- Andre L. Spivey - District 4, Council President Pro Tempore July 9, 2013 - December 31, 2013
- Mary Sheffield - District 5
- Raquel Castañeda-López - District 6
- Gabe Leland - District 7
Starting in 1919, nine Detroit City Council members were elected at large. Members of the council, from 1919 to the present, are:
- "Detroit City Council to elect its leaders on Monday". Detroit Free Press author=Joe Guillen. January 3, 2014. Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- Josar, David (November 4, 2009). "Plan to elect council by districts wins". The Detroit News. Retrieved November 5, 2009.
- , Charter of the City of Detroit
- "Detroit City Council, 1919 to present". Detroit Public Library. Retrieved November 6, 2010.