Deurne, North Brabant
Klein Kasteel castle in Deurne
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Hilko Mak (CDA)|
|• Total||118.36 km2 (45.70 sq mi)|
|• Land||117.03 km2 (45.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.33 km2 (0.51 sq mi)|
|Elevation ||26 m (85 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||271/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Deurne [ˈdʏːr.nə] ( ) is a rural municipality and eponymous village in the province of North Brabant in the Netherlands. Including the villages of Liessel, Vlierden, Neerkant, and Helenaveen, Deurne had a population of 31,711 in 2014 and cover an area of 118.36 km2 (45.70 sq mi).
First recorded as Durninum (near / by thorns) in a deed of gift from the Frankish Lord Herelaef to bishop Willibrord in 721, Deurne remained a collection of subsistence farming hamlets west of the Peel peat moor until the 2nd half of the 19th century, when a newly built railroad (Eindhoven - Venlo in 1866) and a canal (Zuid-Willemsvaart canal in 1826) enabled the commercial exploitation of the moor. Although the peat industry did not yield much of a profit in the era of coal powered industries, the cultivation of the newly cleared land, in the 1930s also by forced labour, gave a boost to agriculture, farming, and settlement alike. Today only tiny pieces of this former peat moor remain, some reflooded as mini wetlands, scattered along the fault line that once brought about its very existence.
Coincidentally the very same Anglo Dutch Griendtsveen Peat Moss Litter Company Ltd. that extracted a significant part of the peat in the Peel moved to Thorne (Moorends) South Yorkshire, U.K., where several of its Dutch employees settled as immigrant workers.
In 2009 the new "Cultural Centre" (cultureel centrum) opened its doors. It is the Martien van Doorne Cultuur Centrum and serves as a theatre, concert hall, and movie theatre.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Deurne, 2013.
- "Samenstelling van het college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Deurne. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5751BE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "deurnewiki.nl". Liber Aureus Epternacencis copy of the deed of gift from Herelaef to Willibrord.
- "Griendtsveen Peat Moss Litter Company". history of the company. the Griendtsveen company.
- "history of the PEEL peatery". wikipedia.
- "UK national archives". national archives.|1893: BT 31/5595/38959
- Jos & Cor Swanenberg: Taal in stad en land: Oost-Brabants, ISBN 9012090105
|Asten||Horst aan de Maas (LI)|
|Peel en Maas (LI)|