Devadasu (1953 film)
Akkineni Nageswara Rao as Devadasu
|Directed by||Vedantam Raghavaiah|
|Written by||Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay
|Starring||Akkineni Nageswara Rao
|Music by||C. R. Subburaman|
|Cinematography||B. S. Ranga|
|Distributed by||Vinoda Pictures|
|Running time||191 min.|
Devadasu is a 1953 Telugu romance film based on the Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas. Samudrala Raghavacharya wrote the dialogue and screen adaptation. The film was also dubbed into Tamil the same year. The blockbuster film's soundtrack was composed by Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, and C. R. Subburaman. The film is listed among CNN-IBN's list of hundred greatest Indian films of all time. 
Devadas (Akkineni Nageshwara Rao)is a well educated guy who returns to his village after spending several years in London for his education. Parvathi (Savitri) is his childhood sweet heart and both of them make a very adorable pair. Things take a bad turn when Parvathi's family proposes for marriage to Devadas's family and get rejected on the grounds that they are of inferior caste and social status. Devadas upon persistence and threatening from his father rejects Parvathi when the latter meets him personally and asks for his love. A dejected Devadas returns to the city while Parvathi gets married. Devadas realizes that he is deeply in love with Parvathi but comes to know that she is already married when he returns to his village. To forget her he becomes alcoholic and spends his time with a courtesan named Chandramukhi (Lalita) who falls in love with him. As time pass by Devadas condition worsens due to heavy drinking and after knowing that he doesn't have much time left and plans to meet Parvathi for one last time. In a fitting climax he dies even before he meets Parvathi ending the movie on a sad note.
- Producer : D. L. Narayana, Vedantam Raghavaiah, C. R. Subburaman and Samudrala Raghavacharya
- Production Company: Vinoda Pictures
- Director : Vedantam Raghavaiah
- Music : C. R. Subburaman assisted by M. S. Viswanathan & T. K. Ramamoorthy
- Screenplay: Vedantam Raghavaiah
- Dialogue: Samudrala Raghavacharya (Telugu) and Udayakumar (Tamil)
- Lyrics: Samudrala Raghavacharya (Telugu), Udumalai Narayana Kavi & K. D. Santhanam (Tamil)
- Art Direction : Godgaonkar
- Editing : Narayana
- Choreography: Vempati Chinna Satyam
- Cinematography : B. S. Ranga
- Makeup : Mangayya
- Playback singers : Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, Jikki Krishnaveni, K. Rani and Raavu Balasaraswathi.
- Telugu songs
- Andaala Aanandam - R. Balasaraswati Devi.
- Antha Bhranthi Yenaa Jeevitana Velugintena - K. Rani.
- Cheliya Ledhu Chelimi Ledhu - Ghantasala and K. Rani.
- Jagame Maaya Bratuke Maya - Ghantasala.
- Kala Idani Nijamidani Teliyadule Bratukintenule - Ghantasala
- Kudi Yedamaithe Porapatuledoy - Ghantasala
- Oh Devada - Ghantasala and K. Rani
- Palleku Podam Paaruni Choodam Chalo Chalo - Ghantasala
- Thaane Marenaa by R. Balasaraswathi Devi
- Tamil songs
- sandhOsham veNdum endRAl - R. Balasaraswathi Devi
- ellAm mAyai thAnA - K. Rani.
- uRavum illai pagaiyum illai - Ghantasala and K. Rani.
- ulagE mAyam vAzhvE mAyam - Ghantasala.
- kanavidhuthAn nijamidhuthAn - Ghantasala
- thunintha pin manamE thuyaram koLLAthE - Ghantasala
- Oh Devadas - Ghantasala and Jikki
- sandhOsham tharum savAri pOvOm chalo chalo - Ghantasala
- anbE pAvamA by R. Balasaraswathi Devi