||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Born||11 December 1970
|Occupation||mythologist, writer, columnist|
Myth = Mithya, Business Sutra, The Pregnant King,Jaya: An illustrated retelling of the Mahabharata
Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik (born 11 December 1970) is an Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist and author whose works focus largely on the areas of myth, mythology, and also management. He has written a number of books related to Hindu mythology, including Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology, a novel, The Pregnant King, and Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata (2010).
Early life and education
Born and brought up in Mumbai, he spent his childhood and student life in Chembur, Mumbai. His father was an MBA. He graduated in medicine (M.B.B.S.) from Grant Medical College, Mumbai and subsequently did a course in Comparative Mythology from Mumbai University.
He worked in the pharma and healthcare industry for 14 years before starting to write books and columns about mythology and delivering lectures on the subject. He worked as a consultant at Ernst and Young and has illustrated most of his own books.
On August 2010, he was invited by the ICCR to Colombia. He presented a paper at a conference on "Subjective World or Mythology of Identity" to an audience of 400 people, including members of the Indian community in Colombia, members of the Association of Friends of India, special guests, and the academic community. The illustrated lecture served to explain the cultural differences between East and West. On 27 August Dr. Pattanaik gave a similar talk at EAFIT university in Medellin.
Dr. Pattanaik currently resides in Mumbai.
- Shiva: an introduction. Vakils, Feffer and Simons Ltd., 1997.
- Vishnu: an introduction. Vakils, Feffer and Simons, 1999. ISBN 81-87111-12-7.
- Devi, the Mother-Goddess: an introduction. Vakils, Feffer, and Simons Ltd., 2000. ISBN 81-87111-45-3.
- The Goddess in India: the five faces of the eternal feminine. Inner Traditions / Bear & Company, 2000. ISBN 0-89281-807-7.
- Hanuman: an introduction. Vakils, Feffer and Simons, 2001. ISBN 81-87111-47-X.
- The Man Who Was A Woman and other queer tales of Hindu lore. Routledge, 2002. ISBN 1-56023-181-5.
- Vināyaka: the first god. Shakti Art and Culture Foundation. 2002.
- Indian mythology: tales, symbols, and rituals from the heart of the Subcontinent. Inner Traditions / Bear & Company, 2003. ISBN 0-89281-870-0.
- Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and fortune: an introduction. Vakils, Feffer and Simons, 2003. ISBN 81-87111-58-5
- Book of Kali. with Seema Mohanty. Penguin Books India, 2004.
- Myth=Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology. Penguin, India. 2006. ISBN 978-0-14-309970-3.
- Shiva to Shankara: decoding the phallic symbol. Indus Source, India. 2006. ISBN 81-88569-04-6.
- The Pregnant King, Penguin Books, 2008 ISBN 978-1-4306-3472-0
- The Book of Ram. Penguin Group, 2009. ISBN 0-14-306528-9.
- 7 Secrets From Hindu Calendar Art. Westland India, 2009. ISBN 81-89975-67-6.
- Hanuman's Ramayan. Tulika Publishers, 2010. ISBN 81-8146-752-3.
- Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata, Penguin Books, 2010 ISBN 978-0-14-310425-4.
- Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana, Penguin Books, 2013 ISBN 978-0-14-306432-9.
- 7 secrets of the Goddess, Westland ltd., 2014 ISBN 978-93-84030-58-2.
- "Author Lounge: Devdutt Pattanaik". Penguin India.
- "Being aware of violence". MiD DAY. 17 October 2010.
- "Epic Venture". Indian Express. 16 October 2010.
- Future Group
- "Mythic Past, Resonating in the Present". New York Times. 4 July 2010.
- "The mythologist". Mint. 16 September 2010.
- "Teaching Old Heads New Tricks". Financial Express. 25 May 2003.
- "Demystifying mythology: A conversation with Devdutt Pattanaik". The Hindu. 24 April 2009.
- "Great response to first TED meet in India". The Hindu. 1 November 2009.
- speaker at TEDIndia 2009.
- Devdutt Pattanaik, website
- Devdutt Pattanaik talks at TED
- Videos of Devdutt Pattanaik in Colombia at Asociación Amigos de India
- Devdutt Pattanaik Interview, Al-Rasub News & Opinion Publishing
- Devdutt Pattanaik Interview with KnowYourStar.com, "An Approach to Everyday Life"