developerWorks is a free web-based professional network and technical resource center from IBM for software developers, IT professionals, and students worldwide. The site attracts 4 million unique visitors per month in 195 countries, and is designed to help users develop and master skills, solve problems, collaborate with peers, and stay ahead of the latest trends in open standards.
developerWorks contains thousands of how-to articles and tutorials, as well as comprehensive knowledge paths, software downloads and code samples, discussion forums, podcasts, blogs, wikis, and other resources. Users can get up to speed quickly on the most critical technologies affecting their profession, like open, industry-standard technologies such as Java, Linux, SOA and web services, web development, Ajax, PHP, and XML, as well as learn about IBM's software products (WebSphere, Rational, Lotus, Tivoli and DB2). The site also provides information on trends such as Green IT, Cloud computing, and IBM's Smarter Planet initiative. Microsoft's MSDN is a similar site (although it focuses mostly on Microsoft products and lacks the concentration on technology-focused content and resources).
In addition to the technical information available, developerWorks offers an a social business networking community of more than 1,000,000 registered members, created to help users build relationships with technical professionals who have similar interests and debate and collaborate for ideal solutions to tough technical questions. Within the community, users can take advantage of groups and activities for easier collaboration, profiles and blogs to gain personal recognition, and a personalized landing page that brings them content matched to their interests for increased productivity.
developerWorks has provided free technology and product technical information to the development community since 1999, and provides language support in English, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Vietnamese, Brazilian Portuguese, and Latin American Spanish. IBM developerWorks has been praised as "a developer's paradise" and "perhaps the best place to get hang of technologies such as Linux, Java, XML and even Wireless," with awards including the 2007 induction into the Jolt Hall of Fame.
Among the many developerWorks skills enablement programs is IBM Develothon 2010, a unique program where the IBM developerWorks India team traveled 40 days covering approximately 8,500 kilometers in two Innova cars to conduct 40 technical briefings to current and future IT professionals across 31 cities in India. Briefings focused on emerging technologies such as Cloud Computing, Business Analytics, and Collaboration for business to educate participants and help them in the career. The briefings route was styled in the form of a relay, with at least one team member present at each stage of the journey. This Develothon was recognized by the Limca Book of Records 2011 as the Largest Technical Briefing Program.
- (French) Erin Traudt & Richard Vancil, IDC white book about social business, january 2011, page 5.
- developerWorks knowledge paths. Ibm.com (2011-10-16). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks downloads (product trials, technologies, updates and fixes)
- developerWorks forums. Ibm.com (2011-06-13). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks podcasts. Ibm.com (2010-10-20). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks blogs. Ibm.com (2009-08-20). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks spaces. Ibm.com. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks technical events and webcasts. Ibm.com (2011-01-09). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks country page. Ibm.com (2011-04-01). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Green IT according to developerWorks. Ibm.com (2010-10-20). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Cloud computing according to developerWorks. Ibm.com. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- developerWorks online community. Ibm.com. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- "developerWorks blogs : Michael O'Connell : dW wins Jolt Hall of Fame award; Booch, Ambler, dW authors also honored". IBM. March 27, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2007.
- My developerWorks
- developerWorks online evaluations (cloud based evaluation and trial resources)