Devil in His Heart
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2008)|
|"Devil in His Heart"|
|Single by The Donays|
Oriole (UK; CBA 1770)
"Devil in His Heart" is a song written by Richard Drapkin, who recorded under the name Ricky Dee.
The song was originally recorded as "Devil in His Heart" in Detroit by The Donays for Correc-tone Records. The song was later picked up by the New York City label Brent and was re-released in August 1962, as "(There's a) Devil in His Heart" with the B-side "Bad Boy". This pairing also appeared in the United Kingdom on the Oriole label in 1962. The record was not a hit on either side of the Atlantic. The Donays only made one recording, but their lead singer Yvonne Vernee (real name Yvonne Symington) also recorded solo, and later joined The Elgins at Motown.
The Beatles' version
|"Devil in Her Heart"|
|Song by the Beatles from the album With the Beatles|
|Released||22 November 1963 (mono)
30 November 1963 (stereo)
|Genre||Rock, close harmony|
|With the Beatles track listing|
As "Devil in Her Heart", the song was performed by the Beatles with George Harrison on lead vocals. It was recorded and issued on their second UK album, With the Beatles, in November 1963. The recording was completed in three takes, plus overdubs.
- George Harrison – double-tracked vocal, lead guitar
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass
- John Lennon – backing vocal, rhythm guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums, maracas
- George Martin – producer
- Norman Smith – engineer
A BBC recording of the song was issued in 1995 as a B-side to "Baby It's You".
- Harry (2000), p. 336
- Lewisohn (1988), p. 200
- Lewisohn (1988), p. 34
- MacDonald (2005), p. 89
- "We're With The Beatles - Track Listing | Mojo Cover CDs - The Definitive List". Mojo Cover CDs. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Harry, Bill (2000). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated. London: Virgin Publishing. p. 34. ISBN 0-7535-0481-2.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). p. 34. ISBN 1-84413-828-3.