Devin Aromashodu during the 2009 NFL season.
No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:May 23, 1984|
|Place of birth: Miami, Florida|
|High school: Miami (FL) Springs|
|NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 7 / Pick: 233|
|Debuted in 2007 for the Indianapolis Colts|
Career NFL statistics as of 2012
Gbolahan Devin Aromashodu (born May 23, 1984) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Auburn.
Aromashodu was born and raised in Miami, Florida. His father, who immigrated to the United States from Nigeria, was deeply fond of football, but was reluctant to let his son play. Aromashodu eventually convinced his father to let him join a youth football team, where he surprised his father by becoming one of the team's best players. Aromashodu attended Miami Springs High School, where he frequently played against future teammate Devin Hester.
Aromashodu expressed interest in attending North Carolina State, Auburn University, and Florida. After much deliberation, he choose to play for Auburn. Devin played a critical role in Auburn's offense during three of the four years he spent there, logging 71 catches for 1333 yards and 9 TD's in 51 games with the Tigers.
After being cut from the Dolphins, Aromashodu would begin his early career as a practice squad member for a number of NFL teams. A member of the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans's practice teams in 2007, Devin was signed to the active roster of the Colts on November 14, 2007. He would make appearances in six regular season games that season, amassing 96 yards on seven receptions.
He caught his first pass as a Bear on November 12, 2009 against the San Francisco 49ers. Aromashodu began to play a larger role in the team's offense after wide receiver Devin Hester was sidelined with a calf injury. He caught his first NFL career touchdown from Cutler on December 13, against the Green Bay Packers. Aromashodu played an integral part in the Bears Monday Night Football upset victory over the Minnesota Vikings, catching seven passes for 150 yards, including the game winning touchdown in overtime. During the 2009 season finale, Aromashodu caught two touchdowns and amassed 46 yards on five receptions in a 37–23 win over the Detroit Lions. He finished the season with 24 catches, 298 yards, and four receiving touchdowns.
His remarkable finish sparked criticism of the Bears' front office regarding why it took until Week 14 for Aromashodu to see significant playing time. Former Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner responded, "[Aromashodu] got hurt in the last preseason game. He hurt his hamstring, and he was out a couple weeks. When he came back, he wasn't back 100 percent. When he got back to the point that he was practicing at full speed and playing, we started to get him in the lineup. Could we have done it a couple weeks earlier? Possibly. But once he got healthy and started playing well in practice, we started getting him in the mix."
On July 26, 2011, Aromashodu and the Vikings came to agreement on a one-year contract. He caught 26 passes for 468 yards and 1 touchdown during the season, while starting 6 games. He became an unrestricted free agent Following the 2011 NFL season, but signed a 1-year to contract to remain with the Vikings on March 23, 2012. He caught 11 passes for 182 yards.
Second stint with the Bears
On June 10, 2013, Aromashodu returned to the Bears. He caught three passes in the first three pre-season games. But on August 25, 2013 Aromashadu was released in a wave of preseason roster cuts.
- "2006 NFL Draft Tracker". NFL.com. 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2006-05-01.
- "2005 Tigers (pp. 35-71)". 2005 Auburn Football Media Guide. Auburn University. 2005. Retrieved 2006-05-01.
- LeGere, Bob (2010-01-01). "Devin on Devin: Hester likes what he sees in Aromashodu". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Hayes, Neil. "Aromashodu goes from small bawl to big time on 'MNF'". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2010-01-02.[dead link]
- http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=442 Indianapolis Colts Bio and Statistics
- chicagobears.com, 19 Devin Aromashodu, Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- Farrar, Doug (2010-01-02). "CoachWatch 2010: Black Monday Edition". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- Seligman, Andrew (2009-12-29). "Cutler leads Bears over Vikings, 36–30 in OT". Associated Press (Yahoo! Sports). Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- Lage, Larry (2010-01-03). "Bears beat Lions 37-23 to finish disappointing 7-9". Associated Press (Yahoo! Sports). Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- "Devin Aromashodu - Chicago Bears - NFL - Yahoo! Sports". Yahoo! Sports. 2010-01-03. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-06-10). "Bears make roster moves". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-08-25). "Bears waive 14 players; roster now stands at 76". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-08-25.