Funchess at Michigan Stadium, October 2012
|Michigan Wolverines No. 1|
|Position||Wide receiver / Tight end|
|High school||Harrison (MI)|
|Date of birth||May 21, 1994|
|Place of birth||Farmington Hills, Michigan|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||232 lb (105 kg)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at ESPN.com|
High school career
Funchess attended Harrison High School in Farmington Hills, where he was a three-sport athlete in football, basketball and track. As a junior in 2010, he caught 34 passes for 709 yards and five touchdowns, leading his team to the Michigan Division II state championship. As a senior in 2011, he was named to the Detroit News Blue Chip List after tallying 21 receptions for 452 yards and five touchdowns on offense, while also recording three sacks, one forced fumble, one interception and three pass break-ups on defense. In track & field, Funchess competed as a long jumper, recording a personal-best leap of 5.63 meters (18 ft, 1.5 in) at the 2011 Oakland County Championships, where he placed 25th.
University of Michigan
Funchess saw extensive playing time as a freshman for the 2012 Michigan football team. After Brandon Moore sustained a knee injury, Funchess became the team's leading tight end and was described in October 2012 as "one of Michigan's biggest early-season revelations." In the second game of the season, and Funchess' first as a starter, he had 106 receiving yards and a touchdown against Air Force. He became the first Michigan tight end with 100 receiving yards in a game in 15 years; Jerame Tuman accomplished the feat in 1997. Funchess was named the Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Week for his performance against Air Force. Against UMass the following week, he caught two passes for 34 yards and scored his second career touchdown at Michigan.
He scored his third touchdown pass on October 13, 2012, in a 45-0 victory over Illinois. On November 10, 2012, he scored in the fourth quarter on an eight-yard pass from Devin Gardner to give Michigan a 28–24 lead over Northwestern. In the final home game of the season, a 42–17 victory over Iowa, Funchess scored his fifth touchdown on an 29-yard pass from Gardner.
As a sophomore for the 2013 Michigan team, Funchess became the Wolverines' second leading receiver behind Jeremy Gallon. On October 5, 2013, he caught seven passes for 151 yards against Minnesota. He had a 46-yard reception against the Golden Gophers, and his total of 151 yards was also a career high. After the Minnesota game, head coach Brady Hoke said: "We wanted to get him out on the perimeter a little bit, mismatch in a lot of ways. He runs awful well and is a big target. We're just trying to really take advantage of his skill set." In an overtime loss to Penn State on October 12, 2013, Funchess caught four passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns, including a career-long 59-yard touchdown reception. Through the first six games of the season, Funchess had 19 catches for 408 yards and four touchdowns. His average of 21.5 yards per catch was the highest in the Big Ten Conference.
On August 30, 2014, Funchess played his first game as a wide receiver for the Wolverines. Funchess also changed his number from No. 87 to No. 1; he is the first receiver to wear No. 1 since Braylon Edwards in 2004. Funchess tallied seven receptions for 95 yards and a career high three touchdowns in the season opener against Appalachian State.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||232 lb||331⁄2 in||93⁄4 in||4.70 s||38.5 in||10 ft 2 in||17 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
2015 NFL Draft
- "Who won 2013 Big Ten individual awards?". www.btn.com. Big Ten Network. December 3, 2013. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Tom Markowski (January 23, 2012). "Blue Chip profiles: Harrison WR Devin Funchess says coaching in future". The Detroit News.
- Tom Markowski (August 24, 2011). "Farmington Hills Harrison could have its best football team ever". The Detroit News.
- Devin Funchess Recruiting Profile
- Tom VanHaaren (September 20, 2011). "TE prospect groomed for success: With skillful hands, and needing only to bulk up, Funchess should see early time". ESPN.com.
- Mark Snyder and Joe Rexrode (October 19, 2012). "Longtime friends Devin Funchess and Aaron Burbridge are now temporary enemies: Harrison teammates play for U-M, MSU". Detroit Free Press.
- Kyle Meinke (October 25, 2012). "Michigan TE Devin Funchess dealing with increased defensive pressure after fast start". Mlive.com.
- Larry Lage (September 9, 2012). "Michigan Leaning on a Lot of Freshmen". Associated Press.
- Luke Pasich (September 8, 2012). "Funchess emerges as big-play target". The Michigan Daily.
- Nick Baumgardner (September 11, 2012). "Michigan players react to freshman Devin Funchess' historic breakout performance at tight end". Mlive.com.
- Chantel Jennings (September 11, 2012). "Freshman TE shines: Breakout game comes as no surprise to followers of Funchess". ESPN.com.
- Kyle Meinke (September 9, 2012). "Freshman Devin Funchess posts best receiving day for Michigan tight end since 1997". Mlive.com.
- "Michigan's Devin Funchess, Denard Robinson earn Big Ten honors". The Detroit News. September 10, 2012.
- Nick Baumgardner (September 10, 2012). "Michigan's Denard Robinson, Devin Funchess pick up Big Ten weekly honors". Mlive.com.
- Kyle Meinke (October 12, 2012). "Michigan's Devin Funchess so impressive, he needs only 1 hand to thrill". Mlive.com.
- Angelique Chengelis (September 18, 2012). "Michigan's receiving corps a surprising strength". The Detroit News.
- Stephen J. Nesbitt (October 13, 2012). "Michigan thrashes Fighting Illini, 45-0, at Michigan Stadium". The Michigan Daily.
- Bob Wojnowski (November 10, 2012). "Devin Gardner's emergence keeps Michigan in Big Ten hunt". The Detroit News.
- Michigan-Iowa box score
- "Lewan, Hagerup Win Top Position Awards at Big Ten Banquet". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. November 26, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- "Big Ten Announces 2012 All-Big Ten Teams and Select Individual Award Winners". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. November 26, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- "Devin Funchess Bio". Mgoblue.com. CBS Sports.
- "Michigan TE Devin Funchess becomes popular target for Devin Gardner". Detroit Free Press. October 6, 2013.
- Nick Baumgardner (October 6, 2013). "Devin Funchess explodes as No. 19 Michigan eases by Minnesota, 42-13". Mlive.com.
- "Michigan's Devin Funchess turns into target too big to miss". The Detroit News. October 6, 2013.
- "Michigan 40, Penn St 43". ESPN.com.
- "Michigan Football Statistics (6-game Totals)". Mgoblue.com. CBS Sports. October 12, 2013.
- Baumgardner, Nick (August 30, 2014). "Michigan WR Devin Funchess will wear the No. 1 jersey this season". MLive. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Huguenin, Mike (August 30, 2014). "Michigan's Devin Funchess scores 3 TDs in season opener". NFL. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "WO17 Devin Funchess WR Michigan", NFL.com, retrieved 2015-02-24.
- Michigan WR/TE Devin Funchess declares for 2015 NFL Draft