|Member of the Canadian Parliament
for Calgary Northeast
|Preceded by||Art Hanger|
August 3, 1958 |
Devinder Shory (born August 3, 1958 in Barnala, Punjab, India) is a Canadian politician, who represents the electoral district of Calgary Northeast as a federal Member of Parliament. Shory held a consultation in Calgary with industry and business leaders from across Manitoba to discuss a renewal of the government's global commerce strategy.
Mortgage fraud accusation
In May 2010, he was named in a lawsuit launched by the Bank of Montreal for an alleged mortgage fraud scheme. Court documents obtained by the CBC allege Shory executed legal transactions misrepresenting the true owner of five separate properties in the Calgary area. The Bank allege its loses from the scheme at $30 million.
Shory responded in a statement on his website ""Through media stories, it has come to my attention that I have been named in a civil matter. I want to state that I have not yet been served with a statement of claim. When I am, I will defend myself vigorously against these accusations. I have done nothing wrong. Even the BMO was quoted in the Toronto Star this evening that: 'we do not allege fraud against him.' I want to personally thank the many constituents who have already expressed their support for me and for my family."
In November 2010, Calgary broadcaster, Kumar Sharma, accused Shory of ripping his shirt and punching him in the right chest and left jaw on the dance floor of a house party. Shory has denied these allegations and has accused Sharma of assaulting him. Police investigated the altercation and no charges were laid.
|Canadian federal election, 2011|
|New Democratic||Collette Singh||4,252||10.26%||+1.33%|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||41,427||100.0%||–|
|Canadian federal election, 2008|
|New Democratic||Vinay Dey||3,279||8.93%||+1.09%||$10,829|
|Green||Abeed Monty Ahmad||2,035||5.54%||+1.16%||$25|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||36,714||100%||$87,091|
|Total rejected ballots||–|
- "MP Devinder Shory supports airport tunnel". Calgary Herald, April 1, 2011.
- "The Ottowa Business Journal - Eye on the Hill: Feds funding business accessibility projects". The Ottowa Business Journal. The Ottowa Business Journal. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "CBC News - Calgary - MP Shory accused in giant mortgage fraud". cbc.ca. 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Legal Filings - Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta - BMO v. Cochrane et al". Ernst & Young. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Devinder Shory - M.P. Calgary Northeast". devindershory.ca. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- "Calgary MP denies attack". The Calgary Sun. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
|This article about an Alberta politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|