|Devlet Bahçeli, leader of the MHP|
|2nd Chairman of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP)|
6 July 1997
|Preceded by||Alparslan Türkeş|
|Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey|
28 May 1999 – 18 November 2002
|Prime Minister||Bülent Ecevit|
|Preceded by||Hikmet Uluğbay|
|Succeeded by||Abdüllatif Şener|
|Member of the Parliament|
22 July 2007
January 1, 1948 |
Bahçe, Osmaniye, Turkey
|Political party||Nationalist Movement Party (MHP)|
|Alma mater||Gazi University|
An academic in economics at the Gazi University in Ankara until 1987, he has been during three years a Deputy prime minister in the coalition government of Bülent Ecevit (1999–2002). Elected in the province of Osmaniye, he has been a MP in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey since 22 July 2007.
Education and work
Born in the rural district of Bahçe in the province of Osmaniye, he attended primary school there. He moved to Istanbul for his secondary education. Bahçeli received his higher education from the scientific academy in Ankara and his doctorate from the Gazi University in Ankara. Bahçeli served as a lecturer for economics at the Gazi University before entering the political life in 1987.
In 1987, Devlet Bahçeli became a member of the board of the Nationalist Task Party (MÇP), which was officially renamed the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) during a congress on 24 January 1993. Following the death on 5 April 1997 of the founder and leader, Alparslan Türkeş, he became on 6 July 1997 the second chairman of the MHP. From 1999 to 2002, Bahçeli served as a Deputy prime minister in the coalition government (DSP-ANAP-MHP) of Bülent Ecevit.
- "AK Party ratchets up rhetoric on bilingual and autonomy debate". Today's Zaman. 24 December 2010. Retrieved 25 December 2010.
- (Turkish)"24. Dönem Milletvekilleri Listesi (Osmaniye)". Grand National Assembly of Turkey. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- (Turkish)"Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi 24. Dönem Milletvekili (Devlet Bahçeli/Osmaniye)". Grand National Assembly of Turkey. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- (Turkish)"Seçimler: 22 Temmuz 2007 XXIII. Dönem Milletvekili Genel Seçimi : Seçim Çevreleri Toplu Sonuçları (Osmaniye ili seçim çevresi)". Yüksek Seçim Kurulu Baskanlıgınca. 22 July 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- (Turkish)"Osmaniye ili seçim çevresi". Yüksek Seçim Kurulu Baskanlıgınca. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.