South West Devon (UK Parliament constituency)
|South West Devon|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South West Devon in Devon.
Location of Devon within England.
|Electorate||70,756 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Plympton, Plymstock and Ivybridge|
|Member of parliament||Gary Streeter (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||South Hams|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
The constituency is a south-western portion of Devon and includes the easternmost part of the city of Plymouth, namely the suburban small towns of Plympton and Plymstock which are so close as to be contiguous with the city's eastern parts, as well as the town of Ivybridge and much of the South Hams, its landscape includes the edge of Dartmoor and includes a southern coastline.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Plympton: Chaddlewood, Erle, St Mary, Dunstone and Radford wards in the City of Plymouth
- Bickleigh and Shaugh, Charterlands, Cornwood and Sparkwell, Erne Valley, Ivybridge: Central, Filham and Woodlands, Newton and Noss, Wembury and Brixton, and Yealmpton in the District of South Hams.
Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies
The area covered in the seat was previously largely served by the South Hams seat. Taking both seats as a unit, since the earlier seat's 1983 creation, representation has been held by the Conservative Party.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: South West Devon |
|Liberal Democrat||Tom Davies|
|General Election 2010: South West Devon|
|Liberal Democrat||Anna Pascoe||12,034||24.1||+0.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: South West Devon|
|Liberal Democrat||Judy Evans||11,765||24.1||+5.7|
|General Election 2001: South West Devon|
|Liberal Democrat||Phil Hutty||8,616||18.4||-5.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: South West Devon|
|Liberal Democrat||Keith Baldry||12,542||23.8|
|Referendum Party||R Saddler||1,668||3.2|
|Natural Law||J Hyde||159||0.3|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "South West Devon results 2010". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Devon South West". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-10-31.